Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Brown" Posole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Brown" Posole

I made a big pot of posole today since I had about a pound a half of pork left from the 4 pound butt I cooked Sunday for carnitas. I wound up combining aspects of green posole and red posole, so let's call it brown (red + green = brown).

To cook the pork butt, I decided to use some of the rub my daughter got me for Christmas. It was by a company called Pepper Palace and it's their Five Pepper Rib Rub. The first ingredient on the list is salt, so I used it as my dry brine for 2-3 hours. I put it on my Kamado at 300 degrees, indirect with a water pan and a couple of big chunks of mesquite. I let it go to 160 internal this way:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	802404
    I pulled it off, cut it into chunks and opened the Kamado up to as rip-roaring as I could. I put my cast iron skillet on the grill surface with a little canola oil in it, but then added a couple of chunks of fat to render a minute or two to have a good searing medium.

Here's a view of the searing in process:

Name:	IMG_0537(1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	802405
    I was very happy with the level of sear achieved:

Name:	IMG_0540(1).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	802406
    The carnitas were great, but I think next time I'll take the butt all the way to at least 180 so the chunks are a bit more tender. They weren't really tough and could be bitten through pretty easily, but they were tighter than I'd like.

So today I oven roasted five halved tomatillos, a sweet onion cut into three slices, three garlic cloves and two giant poblano peppers. Roasting was at 400. The tomatillos and onion went 25 minutes, the poblano about 15 and the garlic 5. I put that all into the blender, but before hitting the switch, I seeded two guajillos, two pasillas and an ancho and heated them a bit in a dry skillet before adding to the goodies in the blender. The puree went into my large stock pot with a couple teaspoons of Kosher salt and maybe half a teaspoon of oregano. I thinned with about a quart of chicken stock and added two cups of water when I ran out of broth. I cut up the leftover pork and tossed it in. It took a total of about three hours of simmering for the pork to get really tender. About 20 minutes into the simmer, I added just under half a pound of frozen hot Hatch green chiles. Two 25 ounce cans of Mexican style hominy went in for the last hour and a half or so. This turned out really well. It was considerably thicker than most posoles I've made or eaten, but I enjoyed this difference.

Name:	IMG_0560(Edited).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	802408

I served it up with fresh Napa cabbage, lime juice, crema and warm tortillas.

Name:	IMG_0563(Edited) (2).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	802407

Nice job there. Yeah looks thick. So what.

funny how you are it though. Ha!

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm headed out of town for a couple of days, so I wanted to leave something for my wife to heat up quickly and easily.

Looks absolutely delicious! Sounds like too much heat for me, but I might risk a small taste.

Comment

Looks great and you used up some leftovers. Just ate the last of mine that I made on Saturday. Love me some Posole.

Comment

That looks delicious- something I’d eat any day. But maybe we should call it "smoked posole"? Or "posole de barbacoa cerdo "? "Posole cafe"? Whatever it takes to get my family interested!

Comment

Great write up and cook. Sounds right up my alley - we like spicy foods. And the Pepper Palace is one of my favorite stores - they have a couple of stores in Gatlinburg and Sevierville, TN (Dolly Parton's Dollywood is in Sevierville). We stop in for a couple of bottles of hot sauce whenever we are up that way.

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I think my daughter picked up the rub in the Sarasota area while visiting her boyfriend's family. I'll definitely use the rub again.

Those Hatch chiles definitely pack a punch. I had ordered five pounds of the hot ones frozen. The first batch of posole I made with them, I put in a whole pound and it turned out so hot we almost couldn't eat it.

I prefer the deep Mexican spelling as pazole but either way it's a great dish. Thank you for sharing your recipe, I really like this stew.

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, transliterations wind up all over the place and it's tough choosing the right version. But, as you say, it's a great dish no matter how we spell it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here