Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miscommunications abound!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miscommunications abound!

So.
    The Y is a member of the local American legion. and this weekend past, they held their second annual (can you call it annual, yet?) Chili Cook off. and the Y entered us.
    I made my Texas Bowl of red Chili, Beef, no beans, no tomato, just what Cookie would have made on the trail (yes, he had beans available but in Texas, BBQ is Beef and Chili ain't got no beans!)

I Wasn't feeling great so I told him, "Take some pictures for me so I can post them" I wanted you guys to see the lovely bowl of Red We had made, topped with Limed Sour Cream and fresh Salsa Verde.

IT tasted GREAT! and the Y took pictures. herein attached. (The winner of the competition was the organizer, BTW, not me)

so, enjoy!
    Attached Files

The organizer. Imagine that. Loving the cool whip "Tupperware." Those container along with margarine were the Tupperware of choice at my grandmas house.

Nice to see you about.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey some of my finest container ware are old re/used butter tubs. Free is part of my wheelhouse!!!

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, Cool WHIP tubs are so ubiquitous, they're almost given as wedding gifts or bequeathed in wills here in the South.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      We save pretty much all of our pint size Romano cheese tubs from the supermarket as well as Kozy Shack rice pudding and quart size yoghurt tubs. Not to mention soup containers from Chinese takeout (pint and quart.)

Stopped reading at 'BBQ is beef'

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, that's where my Tennessee half kicks in and says, "no, no it's not". I MUCH prefer pork. but Chili is beef there, too and that is a good thing.

• dwlacroix
      dwlacroix commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually won the annual church chili contest with one using smoked pork butt. But then I am a Tennessean.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, some folks do pork and some will even use chirizo which makes sense, but I go back to the trail cook

If you didn't win, I know the results were rigged!

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      the Y said he said the one that won was his second favorite. he can be smart at times....

Great to hear from ya Karon.
    Interested in your recipe for this chili as I never use beans in mine.

Comment

it's a simple one.
      dried anchos & Pajillas, toasted & soaked
      remove flesh with a spoon. add 1/2 large onion and 3-4 garlic cloves
      some soaking water
      *** process smooth

Bacon diced
      chuck roast (diced)
      **seared most oil drained

deglaze with 1/4 cup AC VIn
      add stock or water
      **I add a few tablespoons of my Hot Pepper jelly here
      2-3 TBSP whole Cumin
      1 TBSP WHOLe coriander
      1 TBSP whole black pepper
      8-12 mace leaves
      ***toasted & ground
      1 1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp white pepper
      Chipoptle peppers in Adobo (adjust to taste, we used about 2 oz)

3 TBSP Nutrional Gelatin
      3 TBSP Masa Cornmeal

All in the crock pot on high for 2 hours then low an hour or so.
      ______

THis is designed on the simple ingredients available in cattle country, If it grows together, it goes together, and slow & rich. Notice there are no green veg or herbs in this. YOU won't have much fresh on a CHUck Wagon and not many available off season in the desert SW. It's about making a simple, spiced Beef Stew. I like to top it with Lime Sour Cream and salsa Verde (Which would be available to carry in crocks)

If you have limes and time, you can make the lime sour cream by heating cream and adding lime juice to it. I LOVE making Lemon cheese with Milk doing this. heat the milk to 180 and add lemon juice to curdle it. WHEY would be either fed to the cows or used to make corn bread

Comment

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        and remember, everything is adjusted to taste. and DO scrape out the Anchos. that ancho skin is very irritating if you forget and leave it in the sauce

Did the organizer win with the canned Hormel chili in the picture? LOL

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Ugh. I live in Hormel country and even I haven't eaten that in 30 years.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennison's chili no beans on a hot dog was what I grew up with. Still love it.

• Karon Adams
        Karon Adams commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL! The Y Said someone 'entered' that as a joke. Please note, it is unopened.

Meanwhile, apparently the organizing group is the local "Motor Cycle Club". I don 't WANT to win.

Glad to hear both of you are out and about.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here