Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili Verde (Mild - Medium)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili Verde (Mild - Medium)

I've been working on my chili verde recipe, and I've come up with something my family and friends love. In all transparency, I have borrowed ideas from the Pitmaster Club (@Dewesq55 in particular), Meathead, Kenji, and others.

My wife does not do well with spice. I love being married to her, so I honor her preference. She calls his "medium." I'm a spice head, and I call this "mild." But it has great flavor!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0248.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	793202

I like using Hatch chilies, but fresh ones are pretty much impossible to find outside of New Mexico. That said, I think these are the bomb-diggitty: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J55DG2A..._Pf4iEbCJ9K72K
    Chili Verde

Ingredients
    * 3-4 pounds trimmed pork shoulder
    * Kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon per pound pork
    * 2 - 3 tablespoons (or to taste) sazón spice rub (recipe below)
    * 1 large onion, cut in slices
    * 1 bottle (16 ounce) 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley flame roasted green chilies
    * About 15 medium tomatillos (2 pounds), husks removed
    * 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled
    * 2 jalapeño peppers, stems removed, split in half lengthwise
    * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves
    * 1 quart chicken stock
    * Serve with: tortillas, diced onions, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges

----
    Sazón Spice Rub

Ingredients
    * 1 tablespoon ground coriander
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 1 tablespoon ground annatto seeds
    * 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    * 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    * 1 teaspoon onion powder

Method
    * Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until the spices are evenly distributed.
    * Store seasoning at room temperature for up to 1 year.
    ----

Method
    Sprinkle pork with salt until thoroughly coated. Refrigerate an hour (8 or more hours if you have time), and then rub with sazón spice rub.

Smoke pork and sliced onion at 225°F, just enough to pick up flavor: about 30 minutes for the onion and about 2 hours for the meat. (Confession: I usually smoke the pork to an internal temperature of 131°F so I can snack on it while I work.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	793203

While meat and onions are smoking, preheat broiler to high. Shake tomatillos, garlic, jalapeños, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a gallon freezer bag until evenly distributed. Transfer vegetables to a baking sheet lined with foil. Turn once halfway through cooking (about 5 minutes), and cook about 10 minutes total until charred, blistered, and softened.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	793207

Transfer tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeños to the food processor, along with exuded liquid. Add 2 cup of cilantro and Hatch chilies to the food processor, and pulse mixture until it is roughly pureed, about 8 to 10 one-second pulses. Salt and pepper to taste.

Chop the pork into one inch cubes. Coarsely chop the onion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	793201Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	793204

Preheat oven to 225°F. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large Dutch oven over high heat until smoking. Add half of pork and cook without moving until well browned, about 3 minutes. Stir pot and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until well browned on all sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_106797.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	793208

Add remaining pork and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan for about 4 minutes. Onions should be tender.

Add chicken stock and pureed chili-tomatillos mixture to pot, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	793205

Cover and transfer to oven, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook until pork shreds easily with a fork, about 4 to 5 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0356.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	793206

Remove from oven. Skim off excess fat. Adjust to desired consistency by adding water or boiling. Stir remaining cilantro into pot and season to taste with salt.

Serve immediately with warm tortillas, diced onions, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges.
    Last edited by Charley Langer; January 18, 2020, 05:05 PM.

That sounds mighty tasty.

Comment

Sounds great! I’m gonna have to try this.

Comment

Looks great, Charley Langer ! Congratulations. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks, Charley! Bookmarked to cook some day.

Comment

That sounds good, my wife doesn't like spice either. I'll have to try it, thanks.

Comment

That sounds great. I make a very similar recipe. I like mine pretty thick and use lard and masa (corn flour) to make a roux.
              I posted a link to the Hatch Chile Store a few days ago they freeze well.
              https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/co...eid=cda2459847

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                Ooooh man!! Thanks so much for that!

Very nice Charley! Mine is equally similar. BTW, I did your smoked clam chowder recipe last week, excellent!

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the comment CaptainMike and thanks for letting me know about the chowder! I’ve learned so much here! 😃
                Last edited by Charley Langer; January 20, 2020, 03:27 PM.

OK, this has been tempting me for some time now. I've never made chili verde but I'm making your recipe today Charley Langer I have no annatto so I'm subbing tumeric and maybe some paprika in the rub 'cause I'm too lazy to go to the store right now (I'm prepping a bunch of stuff for Super Bowl Sunday while smoking the pork). I like the idea of smoking the meat first, most chili verde recipes I see do not do this step. I've got a good fire in the kamado started with oak and hickory. I'll probably smoke the jalapenos too. Thanks for the recipe!

BTW - Texans, check your local HEB, mine has 12 oz. 505 Southwest roasted hatch chili BOGO free.
              Last edited by 58limited; February 1, 2020, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Charley Langer
                Charley Langer commented
                Editing a comment
                58limited You’re welcome! How’d it come out?
                Last edited by Charley Langer; February 9, 2020, 11:12 PM.

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                It was great! I will definitely be making this again.

I like the idea of the tomatillos in there...nice change of pace.
              It's on my list of things to make for my parents, seeing as they don’t handle heat like I do.
              Looking forward to this one.

Comment

Well, my camera was out of batteries so no pics of the roasted veggies and smoked meats. Just found a battery so here is an oven shot in my 1950 O'Keefe & Merritt oven. I set the pot on an old rusted cheap "non-stick" cookie sheet that I now use to catch spills: #2 Potjie cast iron pot, perfect size for this amount of Chili Verde. Thanks again Charley.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by 58limited; February 1, 2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Made this yesterday. Sorry, forgot to get pics. I think the rub is our new favorite. It was hard to not just eat all the pork once it came off the smoker, but we managed to control ourselves. Once everything finished in the oven we let it reduce on the stove top for a couple more hours. We were rewarded with the most amazing chili verde either of us has ever had. Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here