Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili Verde (Mild - Medium)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    It was great! I will definitely be making this again.

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    58limited You’re welcome! How’d it come out?
    Last edited by Charley Langer; February 9, 2020, 11:12 PM.

• meperea
    replied
    Made this yesterday. Sorry, forgot to get pics. I think the rub is our new favorite. It was hard to not just eat all the pork once it came off the smoker, but we managed to control ourselves. Once everything finished in the oven we let it reduce on the stove top for a couple more hours. We were rewarded with the most amazing chili verde either of us has ever had. Amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Well, my camera was out of batteries so no pics of the roasted veggies and smoked meats. Just found a battery so here is an oven shot in my 1950 O'Keefe & Merritt oven. I set the pot on an old rusted cheap "non-stick" cookie sheet that I now use to catch spills: #2 Potjie cast iron pot, perfect size for this amount of Chili Verde. Thanks again Charley.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 58limited; February 1, 2020, 06:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    replied
    I like the idea of the tomatillos in there...nice change of pace.
    It's on my list of things to make for my parents, seeing as they don’t handle heat like I do.
    Looking forward to this one.

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    OK, this has been tempting me for some time now. I've never made chili verde but I'm making your recipe today Charley Langer I have no annatto so I'm subbing tumeric and maybe some paprika in the rub 'cause I'm too lazy to go to the store right now (I'm prepping a bunch of stuff for Super Bowl Sunday while smoking the pork). I like the idea of smoking the meat first, most chili verde recipes I see do not do this step. I've got a good fire in the kamado started with oak and hickory. I'll probably smoke the jalapenos too. Thanks for the recipe!

BTW - Texans, check your local HEB, mine has 12 oz. 505 Southwest roasted hatch chili BOGO free.
    Last edited by 58limited; February 1, 2020, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the comment CaptainMike and thanks for letting me know about the chowder! I’ve learned so much here! 😃
    Last edited by Charley Langer; January 20, 2020, 03:27 PM.

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Very nice Charley! Mine is equally similar. BTW, I did your smoked clam chowder recipe last week, excellent!

Leave a comment:

• Charley Langer
    commented on 's reply
    Ooooh man!! Thanks so much for that!

• ofelles
    replied
    That sounds great. I make a very similar recipe. I like mine pretty thick and use lard and masa (corn flour) to make a roux.
    I posted a link to the Hatch Chile Store a few days ago they freeze well.
    https://www.hatch-green-chile.com/co...eid=cda2459847

Leave a comment:

• lemayp
    replied
    That sounds good, my wife doesn't like spice either. I'll have to try it, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    Thanks, Charley! Bookmarked to cook some day.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Looks great, Charley Langer ! Congratulations. Nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    Sounds great! I’m gonna have to try this.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    That sounds mighty tasty.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
Click here to read our detailedreview

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review