Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm working on my Phở Gà method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working on my Phở Gà method

I think I have a good system now.

First rotisserie a chicken and at the same time char some onions and ginger.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	cjZTaxt_5r3fvXd2mQqZ3Z_lJQpQKULfCMV7aOsN8MtsNjf7O6f3G2AWezjAuhYoG6xkisQONusQjfvlfwjTZRrN0KexXQ6bh1Esx-QmkY91DfOBK-I9NeYUJwlo4lCQy-gnt_x9rZafgXV6MCX7vJnUCD_dAPlBNAEPIVLUIOeKeNMTzYl-Pyf8fD1qo9pdne0wjm4DmM9j1XVRhHQYPR7hWL4x-7P441DW1Dih2KhWdbDkLQT09NPQIeh4eRz Views:	0 Size:	373.9 KB ID:	788879
    Click image for larger version  Name:	l2gjoWhIvJgjs04JvE2u6yw5-KV2igNYxue3znZS-zxX4uR0b3On28dB7Eh03vfZGUxOyXQdAYvHHdNRquLyfK4h3AL01wiHE7HvB7YGGb6uLZVz_xTgFQ1kKO4y3XHytcI4xke-Ei7Vq2lFVUQCyoi2axse_Q-HE2L62hEiLXYTt94pblIDIF7l3S0UV7RR_qJ_-3NyJYKohPUYCM4b2d3K_YS2o1lofM2jHtlc-q4dOpjJqpivBAgS0K0_1LG Views:	0 Size:	435.3 KB ID:	788880

Then eat some of the chicken for dinner the night before if you want (I also tossed some broccoli under this chicken so I didn't waste the drippings).
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7bRYyiZ6UIOxofK6abcVvvzdh938QkL8yw1GggXHZeKe3O-xmzA-wTveSlP2UgRvkM24uY575o6U1XCqEnbvixioW28wgLLY2FLpcfb9KWPLoni97tQrZzUcw9psJSMYX3DiGENpiWBa4rOBaQdEJr9CUYdOcS6gEqgOayOgBPWUxqkp7Xv1EfJhRYC1H_EhRUHLsbgnT99BAqKNJmIKWtaNR1Q0d9VidQXAJoM1t-xcpJMXzlkV3gxvdRsx_I6 Views:	0 Size:	470.3 KB ID:	788881

After dinner, take the rest of the meat off the chicken and store it in the fridge and toss the carcass into an instant pot.

Broth recipe:
    chicken carcass
    charred onions (1-2)
    charred ginger (a couple of peices about 2" x 2" X 1/4" )
    1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
    1.5 Tablespoons fish sauce
    1 or 2 star anise
    Add enough water to cover the chicken carcass and set the pressure cooker to high for two hours.
    Then go to bed.

In the morning remove the solids and strain the broth through cheesecloth and refrigerate.

When it's time for lunch or dinner heat the broth, but do not let it boil, or else it will turn from clear to cloudy. Prepare your vegetables, herbs, and chicken. I had Thai basil, scallions, jalapenos, cilantro, bean sprouts, and lime wedges. Then prepare your rice vermicelli (I used fresh noodles which had to be boiled for 10 seconds). Assemble your soup in a bowl. I added some sriracha and hoisin as well.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	z9qN8xQaOapcZbBR5RaqpYln5D4R2DfaT55hLnvz5yrs3QOgR3Z8kYqezWe5AkdI64JNgA7A8SwWvP_1ZgYssZg16q9YM5C2z7Ce7XRy23qhyFBDwXUl_QsT1D8qDnNmXrFkLxfQ_3ur3EVKFTLLOxTnfBzhjiYm1bElEs5x8jlI65DMFbUwiBLn1YU7YhbgFkAbC7QmISV6TLeI9XjMkeiCMR2shUT8t31xkrmOf91JzbnGbpcnOOZ_bTwtkvP Views:	0 Size:	403.6 KB ID:	788882
    Last edited by Attjack; January 10, 2020, 12:41 AM.

That looks so fresh! I usually make a chicken soup from the carcass when grilling, but this looks way better!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd - it is pronounced fo' sho'

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      My comment was tongue in cheek, Hank. I've been told that the correct pronunciation for "pho" is "fa." I don't know why some words translated from Asian languages into English are not phonetic.

I think your "pho sho" will become a new meme on this site.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha! I missed that one, thanks for clarifying :-)

This looks darn good! Thanks Attjack

Comment

Looks very tasty! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Beautiful! I love it.

Comment

When I was in Vietnam many years ago, there was a "restaurant", (in quotes because it was just a dirt floor hut with a large soup pot sitting over a wood fire), where we used to occasionally get some "soup" that was very tasty. Soup in quotes 'cause that's all I ever heard it called. I've never been able to find it in the US...

Comment

As Henrik says.....Pho Sho!!!!

and CLEAR broth, not cloudy! Outstanding work! And I tossed a rotisserie chicken carcass last night.....what was I thinking!

that looks good! I’ve made this a few times but not your method. I like this route, will give it a try soon! I have a whole chicken in the freezer that I can use.

Comment

Pho Sho! I like that.

This looks really good. I love how you are using that Blaze. It looks like an awesome rig. How are you liking it? I need that bowl for lunch today, it still cold here and I have not seen the sun in a week and a half.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Since you mentioned that you are using the sear burner, it must work pretty well then. Those things rarely work well. So it is good to hear that it is getting some use and it must perform well. I love the build quality of those grills.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                My only complaint about the sear burner is that I wish it was bigger or that I could install 2 of them.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yes, I feel like we always want a little bit more space. Attjack

Hi do you use the Instant Pot and let it cook overnight? No issues with it getting in danger zone?

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I do. It makes making stock much more convenient. When I open it in the morning after it's been on warm all night the broth is well over 160f. In the past I would be making stock late into the night or storing the carcass for the next day. For this task alone an instant pot is worth getting.

I'll definitely have to try this once I break my Instant Pot back out. We went to Vietnam in February and I have some serious cravings for the super-fresh food they had everywhere. Plus, we occasionally get the rotisserie chickens from Costco.

Your recipe looks very authentic at least comparing it to the cooking class we went to while there (no Instant Pot though...). The only difference I see now without checking my recipe book is that they toast the star anise before making the stock. Thanks for the motivation!

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Good call on the star anise. Next time I'll hit sautee and toast it in the instant pot before I add everything else.

Great job Attjack. I know going through all the straining to get a clear broth is the key. A lot of extra work but that stuff rocks. Excellent writeup, I'm following !!

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. Really the straining isn't too bad though. I use a big bowl with a full-sized colander in it and dump the whole pot in there. I then lift out the colander, let it drain into the bowl, and drop the colander back into the instant pot to be dumped in the compost later. After that, I just pour the broth through cheesecloth that is lining a sieve into a glass container that can go right into the fridge. I guess it might take as much as 10 minutes and maybe more like 5.

Looks delicious. I love pho ga, but have never attempted to make it at home.

Comment

That looks and sounds incredible. I wish I wasn’t on a low carb diet. 😂 Our Vietnamese neighbor makes incredible pho, but that looks better (which I didn’t think was possible).

Comment

Yum, love Pho - Ga and Bo. In fact, did a Pho Bo this past weekend. 6lbs of beef bones in an Instant Pot along with the spices and charred onions, ginger and shallots! Additions were blanched bean sprouts, Enokitake mushrooms, Thai basil, jalapeno slices, cilantro, snow peas, scallions, beef meatballs....
                  Great warming comfort food on a cold winters night!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200117_164947.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	793397

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200117_194107.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	793398

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That looks delicious. I need to some Pho bo next time.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, that's beautiful. The broth is nice and clear. Kudos to you.

Kathryn

Where can you get Thai basil? I’ve looked in all the local grocery stores and I haven’t been able to find it.

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sometimes I can get it at regular market but a lot of times I get it from an Asian market. But regular basil is a good substitute.

• JGrana
                    JGrana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As Attjack said, I go to a local Asian market for the Thai basil. Or, in the summer, grow it myself.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here