Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking vegetables to use in Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking vegetables to use in Chili

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:47 PM.

I have never been a fan of smoking veggies but recently Charley Langer posted a clam chowder recipe that used smoked veggies. It looked delicious. He had good advice about time, temps and technique.

Comment

• Kevin_nj
      Kevin_nj commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you done it and not been happy with the results, or does the idea just not appeal to you?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done it plenty and found the smoke is not as subtle as in meat. Charley’s technique and recipe has me convinced that given the right sizes and times it can be done well without my poor results.

I always do it for chili, salsa, chowder, and so forth. Peel and half the onions (also cut the slits in them like you will be dicing it, just don't make the final vertical cuts that release it from the root) half the Chili's, peel the garlic but leave whole. Basically leave everything in big chunks. Don't forget to smoke the final product too!

Comment

• Kevin_nj
      Kevin_nj commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you do them cold smoke or hot?

I thought about mixing and bringing to a boil on the stove, then going into the MAK for the simmer. It might still happen, if the expected rain moves out of the area in time.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      hot. I put the in the cold spot of my pit though. Usually in the thermal shadow of the hunk of meat I am smoking.

Grill them whole and smoke the meat.

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I smoked my vegetables for about 30-45 minutes to get some flavor on them and then finished their cooking process in the chili itself braising with the brisket and imparting some more flavor. Good luck!

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      You can always smoke the veggies while the brisket is resting. You will be through with them before the brisket is ready.

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      I had smoked the brisket the day before. I was doing a rack of ribs on the day the chili was being made so threw the veg on with it.

I like to smoke my onions and garlic. For the garlic I do a whole head as carmalized. for that sweet sharp garlic flavor. I always keep 5-6 different types of dried peppers and depending on the flavor I am going after will choose the ones I want. Softer them in hot water and smoke after removing the seeds, you can leave the veins depending on the heat you want. My theory is to play with the ingredients, add some flame cured tomatoes and such until you find your recipe.

Comment

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      mountainsmoker I said smoky. not smoked. I know they aren't smoked. They already have a smoky CHARACTER to them, is what I'm saying. Why smoke them? Guajillos, arbols, etc. all have smoky quality. I think they're fine how they are.

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK got yer thinking.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      ancho is smoked poblano as well.

Seems like it would be a little one-note if everything were smoked. I like the contrasting acidity/fat/freshness of the vegetables in chili that are simply roasted over high heat before the simmer or left fresh before the simmer.

But then again, I'm typically in the minority around here.

I make a pork chili verde. I typically roast the peppers, tomatillos, and garlic to impart SOME smokiness. I did it over a wood fire once, with some smoke hitting all of the veg. I didn't care for the finished product nearly as much. It lost the acidity that lent contrasting character to the richness of the pork shoulder. The smoke was overpowering to me (it was a very light smoke, before anyone asks).

Something to consider, anyway. Not everything needs to be smoked, to make a smoked dish great.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually my Daughter just told me "Dad not everything needs to be smoked!"

Alas, I've never done brisket chili exactly as you describe. I've done brisket chili, and I've done smoked lasagna, and what I've learned is that not everything should be smoked, it can result in overkill. Maybe tasty for 3 or 4 bites, but overkill much past that. However, if your previous attempt told you that you need more smoked things, by all means, experiment! IMO though, one or two smoked items is all it takes.

Comment

• parkerj2
      parkerj2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly. Can be a pallet killer and ruin a meal, IMO.

• Kevin_nj
      Kevin_nj commented
      Editing a comment
      As good as that first batch was, there was no "real smoke flavor" to it. Others that tasted it said they'd have had no idea any smoking technique was involved at all had I not told them.

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Make sure you post photos!

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_nj View Post

To recap my main questions:
      1. Cold or hot smoke for the veggies?
      2. Smoke all the veggies or just the peppers and onions?
      3. Leave them in larger pieces or smoke them at the final size?
      I figure 1 hour smoke should be good; then into a sealed container in the fridge overnight.
      I’m doing this for my family two days before Thanksgiving. I just smoke the onions in 1/2 inch slices. I didn’t smoke the bell peppers (because I add them at the end, so they have crunch). That said, smoked bell peppers sound REALLY good, and I’m going to try that next time.

When I smoke the peppers (thanks to your post), I will probably cut them in strips. That’s just what intuition tells me. Then I’ll chop them to final size. I won’t smoke any of the other veggies.

I could potentially see smoking tomatoes, but I’ve never tried it. So don’t blame me if it sucks! 😝

As far as time, I smoked the onions for almost an hour.

Brisket chili sounds phenomenal. I smoked chuck roast to 131 internal before chopping into 1/2 inch cubes. I’m already dreaming of Tuesday night... it’s going to be delicious!!

Comment

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I really appreciate you sharing your culinary adventures!! I love this stuff, and it’s fun just to see and hear what others are doing.

I’ve got a pot of chili going right now. I’m not serving it until Tuesday night. I enjoy taking my time on it. It will go in the fridge tonight. Then I’ll scrape off the fat that rises to the top. I’ll warm it up on Tuesday eve and it’s going to be amazing!! It always is. Not bragging on myself — for the most part I follow Meathead’s recipe.

About not tasting enough smoke flavor:
          1) I’ve overdosed before, and I’d rather "underdose"!
          2) Firing up the smoker is an end unto itself. Sometimes throwing food in it is almost an afterthought. Admit it! We all like to sit outside with a nice beverage and just smell the aromas.
          3) You might try cutting the meat into smaller pieces before you throw it on the smoker. That will give you more surface area exposed to the smoke. You’re going to throw it into a pot of liquid for several hours, and I can’t imagine it’ll be too tough (I could be wrong though — I experiment on family, and not guests).
          4) You can always add other things that taste "smoky." Chipotle sauces maybe. Heck, I won’t tell on you if you throw in a couple teaspoons of liquid smoke!! 😂

Comment

I've done this. I prefer to just use charcoal as opposed to wood especially if some or all of the meat is going to be smoked as well.

Comment

Last edited by Kevin_nj; February 24, 2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here