Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking vegetables to use in Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    Most peppers are not smoked. Only Jalapeno and New Mexico are normally touched by smoke or fire.

• Huskee
    replied
    Alas, I've never done brisket chili exactly as you describe. I've done brisket chili, and I've done smoked lasagna, and what I've learned is that not everything should be smoked, it can result in overkill. Maybe tasty for 3 or 4 bites, but overkill much past that. However, if your previous attempt told you that you need more smoked things, by all means, experiment! IMO though, one or two smoked items is all it takes.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Actually my Daughter just told me "Dad not everything needs to be smoked!"

• parkerj2
    commented on 's reply
    Why smoke the dried peppers? Their character is already smoky. I feel like this would just overdo it.

• parkerj2
    replied
    Seems like it would be a little one-note if everything were smoked. I like the contrasting acidity/fat/freshness of the vegetables in chili that are simply roasted over high heat before the simmer or left fresh before the simmer.

But then again, I'm typically in the minority around here.

I make a pork chili verde. I typically roast the peppers, tomatillos, and garlic to impart SOME smokiness. I did it over a wood fire once, with some smoke hitting all of the veg. I didn't care for the finished product nearly as much. It lost the acidity that lent contrasting character to the richness of the pork shoulder. The smoke was overpowering to me (it was a very light smoke, before anyone asks).

Something to consider, anyway. Not everything needs to be smoked, to make a smoked dish great.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I like to smoke my onions and garlic. For the garlic I do a whole head as carmalized. for that sweet sharp garlic flavor. I always keep 5-6 different types of dried peppers and depending on the flavor I am going after will choose the ones I want. Softer them in hot water and smoke after removing the seeds, you can leave the veins depending on the heat you want. My theory is to play with the ingredients, add some flame cured tomatoes and such until you find your recipe.

Leave a comment:

• THE Humble Texan
    commented on 's reply
    You can always smoke the veggies while the brisket is resting. You will be through with them before the brisket is ready.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    hot. I put the in the cold spot of my pit though. Usually in the thermal shadow of the hunk of meat I am smoking.

• treesmacker
    commented on 's reply
    +1

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    I smoked my vegetables for about 30-45 minutes to get some flavor on them and then finished their cooking process in the chili itself braising with the brisket and imparting some more flavor. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Grill them whole and smoke the meat.

Leave a comment:

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I have done it plenty and found the smoke is not as subtle as in meat. Charley’s technique and recipe has me convinced that given the right sizes and times it can be done well without my poor results.

• Kevin_nj
    commented on 's reply
    Do you do them cold smoke or hot?

I thought about mixing and bringing to a boil on the stove, then going into the MAK for the simmer. It might still happen, if the expected rain moves out of the area in time.

• texastweeter
    replied
    I always do it for chili, salsa, chowder, and so forth. Peel and half the onions (also cut the slits in them like you will be dicing it, just don't make the final vertical cuts that release it from the root) half the Chili's, peel the garlic but leave whole. Basically leave everything in big chunks. Don't forget to smoke the final product too!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin_nj
    commented on 's reply
    Have you done it and not been happy with the results, or does the idea just not appeal to you?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here