Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead’s Chili con Carne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead’s Chili con Carne

Click image for larger version  Name:	448FFBA2-3280-4270-B412-8E66485D565B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	764139 I’ve used his recipe several times now, and I absolutely love it. My wife is diabetic, so she appreciates the fact that it has no beans. And she doesn’t like things too spicy, which also makes this perfect — I make a chili sauce for the young and young at heart to add as a topping.

This time, I used a mix of red and green bell peppers, and those multi-colored carrots you can get at Costco. It makes it pretty! 😂

I think the smoked roast and onions add depth. I also dry brine the meat just to help me get the salt "in the ballpark." And it’s a habit.

My in-laws were blown away tonight. 😃 I’m a rock star!!! 🤣
    Last edited by Charley Langer; November 1, 2019, 11:09 PM.

Awesome. I made a pot for myself and it was gone in a couple days.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a double batch, and there’s not much left. 😢

Congrats! Great photo.

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, tbob!

That chilli looks really good! And nice shot aswell!

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. It has become a "thing" for me and my family. Such a wonderful fall food!!

I gotta try this!

Comment

Look fantastic.

Comment

I just KNEW I smelled something awesome in here today... the chili looks great!

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          😂 It really did turn out nicely. Thanks!!

Way to go brother!!! This is my favorite chili on the planet!

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          It is my favorite on the planet also. Pretty much like all of Meathead’s recipes. I try other stuff I see on different blogs, and then I go, "Meathead does it better."

Wow that looks delicious! Nice job, Charley Langer .

Kathryn

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Kathryn!

Charley Langer I forgot that I dry brined mine also. It was last minute so I dropped a boatload of salt on top of the chuck roast and threw it in the smoker. It was a pretty sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191021_185532.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	764609

Comment

Charley Langer you inspired me this weekend. Made the Chili con carne while doing a double batch of Chile Verde for an upcoming hunting trip. Was outstanding. Thanks again for the inspiration.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, that is a lovely photo!!

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is delicious!

I just used this recipe again to win the office chili cook off. It is a hit every time. The next closest person had half the votes that I did.

I do make a few changes, or rather, I add something to the mix.....

The first thing that I like to add is some grilled lamb. I buy some lamb shoulder, slice it and grill it directly over the lump coal on my KJ Jr. After grilling the lamb up, I slice it, and throw it in the chili.

Then comes the brats. I like to use the Johnsonville Brats that you can buy at the grocery store at any time of the year. I take three of the brats and grill them up. They are then sliced and added to the chili.

I always brown the onions in the some wagyu tallow at the bottom of the DO. It makes for some awesome flavors. Then I will throw in the cumin, chipotle, chili powders and then the garlic. It does make for some tasty and rich fixings.

Instead of jalapeños, I like to make use of some Carolina Reaper peppers. I find that those are the best peppers to use for this recipe. However, you have to use them in moderation. For most batches, I only use half of one pepper. But if I am making it for my immediate family I throw a whole pepper in the mix. The Carolina Reaper pepper has a wonderful smokey flavor that is slow to build on the tongue but really lasts a while.

I also add about 3 tablespoons of Chipotle powder, in addition to the chili powder. Similar to what I do with the Carolina Reapers, I grow the Chipotle peppers in the summer, dehydrate and turn it into powder for cooking. These also give the chili a rich smokey flavor that I really love.

Finally, I like to add about two tablespoons of chicken bullion. I think it gives it a little more balance and some added salt as I don't add any at any other point in the cooking process.

As for the cook itself.......I like to cook it, uncovered on the BGE. I do not add any wood or anything to the BGE, I just let the DO and the BGE do their thing. I generally try to let it go for about four hours. Then I throw it in the fridge. Heat it up the next day, slowly, then return it to the fridge. The third day is when it finally gets devoured. I like to give it a few days to allow the flavors to get to know each other.

For serving, I put Fritos on the bottom with some sour creme, then I add the chili, top it with cheese and then a little cilantro.

If you have not tried this recipe, do it! (Don't add any beans, you have plenty of meat in this one, there is no need for the cheap protein)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6064.jpeg Views:	60 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	767574Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6082.jpeg Views:	55 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	767575
        Last edited by Spinaker; November 18, 2019, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Those were my thoughts exactly. tbob4

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          try some smoke dried ghost pepper powder. I prefer it to the reaper in chili. Reaper is great on peanuts with Mable syrup and butter as a brittle.

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks freakin’ amazing!!! OMGosh!! Thanks for the tips. I’m making this chili again two days before Thanksgiving. It’s going to be great, but I wish I had seen these modifications a few days ago... 😢

Spinaker If I knew that was coming I would bow out of the contest for sure.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          It really wasn't even a contest......more like a landslide.

Spinaker Wow that looks good . I can see why you won the contest .

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I am making up another batch tonight! I can't get enough of the stuff!

Oh, I forget mention that I always brown the onions in the some wagyu tallow at the bottom of the DO. It makes for some awesome flavors. Then I will throw in the cumin, chipotle, chili powders and then the garlic. It does make for some tasty and rich fixings.

Comment

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok... just... wow... !!! 😂😂

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here