Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live fire chili day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live fire chili day

Click image for larger version  Name:	B43B4DD8-C3B0-44E6-9423-8B6814C57354.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	755716Click image for larger version  Name:	91006F48-E0F7-4397-A95D-705997C47876.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	755717Click image for larger version  Name:	B8CA0519-1544-4E5D-A6E0-8924C635CBAC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.69 MB ID:	755718 About 3 years ago I started an outdoor chili cook on Columbus day weekend. My son and his family come to help and spend the day with us. We started with 17 lbs of ground venison, 4 lbs chopped onions, about a quart of copped sweet peppers. We cooked the meat and veggies in the old Sperry #5 cast iron kettle that came to my possession being passed down from the family farm. As I young teenager I was first involved with this kettle rendering lard on butcher day when we processed hogs. When the meat was browned, we added chili seasoning, cumin, black pepper and salt. We added tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced green chilis and tomato juice. After about an hour of simmering, we added beans, pinto, kidneys and seasoned chili beans. Another hour of cooking and we decided it was time to eat.
    After the meal we moved the kettle away from the fire to start to cool so we could bag the chili for storage. We decided to weigh the kettle to get an idea how much we made. It was 136.5 lbs. after cooling and storing the chili, the empty kettle weighed 66 lbs. so the net amount was just over 70 lbs. or about 8-1/2 gallons. We stored in 22 ziplock bags to freeze for meals for winter.
    Last edited by Oakgrovebacon; October 13, 2019, 07:35 PM.

Good family fun!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      A great day! I had a couple more pics but gave up loading them with slow internet service.

that's a fantastic memory and tradition you have going on, your a lucky guy, God bless and thanks for sharing, looks like a great and delicious day

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! It was a fun day.

This is just cool and I’m sure is a great memory for everyone involved. We do an annual cider pressing and I know it is a hit here no matter the age of the participants.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like a fun day too!

What a great family tradition and one your grandchildren will always remember. Hope they continue to pass on the knowledge too! Well done.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! We hope to keep it going for a long time.

Family time is the best time. This winter you'll have a great meal ready made. Chili is not chili with out the beans!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      My son and I were very tempted to just have chili meat, after seasoning and before the tomatoes and beans, It was Awesome tasting!

That is really awesome! Thanks for sharing the tradition and photos!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I saved the kettle from going to the scrap yard a few years back and restored the inside and seasoned it. After the first chili cook we decided to make it an annual event.

That was a TON of fun and I'm sure a lot of satisfaction at the end of the day.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, we had a great day!

Very cool!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Lots of fun!

That is AWESOME!!! We do something similar with my in-laws... it rotates every year between apple butter, pumpkin butter, and a veggie soup... they make can, jar, freeze enough for a couple of years and repeat. The traditions are cool and make lasting memories.

We are supposed to be doing something similar with a veggie beef soup with the copper kettle yet this fall... I will post some pics of that too when it happens.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a great day of fun in the fall. We happened to have perfect weather this year.
      Have a great time when you do yours!

Great to have family traditions going. It always amazes me what the kids and grand kids remember as they get older. One granddaughter said she always fondly remember I always have good root beer to drink. Priceless.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      They sure make life fun!

This is fantastic!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought you would like the cast iron.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed!!!!

Muchos good man. 👍🕶

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Fireman!

What a marvelous tradition--I really enjoyed seeing the photo of the young granddaughter stirring that very old pot. What a perfectly encapsulated memory for her.

Kathryn

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! There is a photo of her little brother too but I could not get it to load with my poor internet service at home.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here