Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best chili ever? I need to make it...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had a Chili Cookoff at work over the past few years. Rather than having a few judges, everybody who wants to sample gets two tickets to drop into a box on the floor under the table in front of the two they like best.

The first year I went with a straight Texas-style meat only (chuck roast) chili that came in Second. The winning "chili" was a very good tasting White Chicken Chili brought in by one of the popular managers and made by his wife. More of a chicken stew, but I don’t want to sound like "sour grapes".

The next couple of years I went with things modified to, in my mind, please the most people, but never did quite as well.

This past weekend, after asking a bunch of questions here to get thoughts on making a Sous-Vide version of chili, I ended up making what basically amounted to my original recipe, enhanced by smoking the chuck roast, onions, (a la Meathead’s recipe) and jalapeno peppers, and less the carrots (no SVQ). I also added red kidney beans and black beans because I like them (and find the red and black pleasing to the eye ). It was the best chili I ever made. If there’s another contest at work (it is held around Halloween), that’s what I’m gonna make.

As an aside, some people like to "bottom" their chili with pasta (I’m not a fan, but will do it at home if asked), some like rice (and I do too), but my absolute favorite is to take a handful of Chili Cheese Fritos and dump my chili on top of that. Oh, yeah.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I generally bottom my chili with a bowl. Or a plate. ;-)

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Corn chips.

It does require some work but it's excellent.
    Beef Chili recipe cooked on the grill with a smoked chuck roast, ground sausage, roasted vegetables for the perfect smoked chili.

Comment

Thanks to all who helped with their suggestions. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do anything so I grabbed a pound of italian sausage (ground), a pound of chopped up steak, a pound of coarsely ground chuck and some leftover meatballs and browned them in bacon fat.

Sauteed a big onion in bacon fat and added to the drained meats. Tossed in two jars of HEB chili mix (yikes! the laz way) and after a couple hours I thought it needed more cumin and spice so i added them generously.

And I won.

I am almost embarrassed.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        All the fore thought and planning! I wonder if yo would have even placed? Great job.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahaha, this is what is going to happen to me next week. I'm gonna get beat by a guy with a canned chili in the pot! LOL. Nice work though!

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it!! 😂

What a great story, fracmeister . It's good that your meaty-meat chili won the day. Congrats!

Sometimes those chili mixes are pretty tasty, doctored up as needed. I'm partial to Wick Fowler's brand (or Carroll Shelby's if I can't find the WF box at the grocery) if in a time crunch or want to make a chili for a group of people, most of whom don't like/appreciate spicy hot chili. It's a safe choice.

My chile blends of choice come from Pendrey's, Top Hat (chiles with other spices) is good, spiced up with a couple of tablespoons of their Texas Red Dog pure chile powder mix

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; November 1, 2019, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a member of the American Shelby Club NorCal region and a huge fan of his cars. Never have tried his chile. Will have to do something about that. Thanks Kathryn

I've got a chili cook off next week, I can't wait to lose because I add enough meat that I don't need to add beans to make it go further. Minnesota folks have no idea what real Texas Chili is about. NO BEANS!

Honestly, last time I made Meathead's Texas Style Chili Con Carne recipe I got several comments that it was the best chili they had ever had. It really is amazing. I like to add a few things, but for the most part I follow the recipe. I love it. I always drop fritos and sour creme in the bottom the bowl, then add the chili too the top with a touch of cilantro and some shredded cheese.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6064.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	763828Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6082.jpeg
Views:	452
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	763827

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the additional information, @Spinaker.
        My inclination is to try the chocolate for depth of flavor but leave the other sweet stuff out. Veggies besides onion, hot peppers, and garlic in chili don't ring my chimes. That said, it's always fun to give a new recipe a try as is before starting to fiddle with it.
        K.

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc, last time I did it, it just seemed like it wanted some brown sugar. This time, it didn’t. It’s definitely something I would do (or not do) at the end, after tasting. 🤷‍♂️ It could just be whim! 😂

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice, Charley Langer .

Kathryn

Spinaker I love eating chili with Fritos scoops--not in the bowl, but held in the hand, scooping out each delicious bite. To me, Fritos and Chili are a marriage made in chili heaven.

I'll have to try your method next time chili is on our menu. Tonight is steaks, though, so that's all I can focus on--a Major Meat Moment looming on the horizon.

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I picked up the Fritos in the bowl from my sister- in-law. That is how her mom's family always did it in Mexico (although they used fresh fried tortilla strips), I tried it and have never looked back! Fritos are an okay sub.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Corn chips and chili, a Texas staple.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love Fritos Scoops with chili, and I love Chili Cheese Fritos. Sadly, I don't think they make Fritos Chili Cheese Scoops (yet).

I make Pork Chile Verde. Entering in my first cookoff next weekend in my neighborhood. I plan on winning.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish you well. Let us know how you do.

Kathryn

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck. Love me some Pork Verde Chile

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        We had a department chili cook-off this past Wednesday. The chili that won was a pork chile verde. I think that bodes well for you.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here