Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best chili ever? I need to make it...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best chili ever? I need to make it...help!

OK, I make decent enough chili but I have been out of town at the last two cookoffs and a wannabe has won in my absence and is talking some smack. Cost is no object here...I need to make some chili that will clearly be the finest stuff ever tasted.

Sadly, I can't even tell whether the judges will know decent chili from wolf brand but that is all i have to go on now. Someone please give me an awe inspiring recipe so I can regain my all around title (I still own all the BBQ props in my gang)

Meathead's Texas Chili Con Carne won me 1st place in my office's chili cook off...it's fantastic. Recipe is on the main site, link below for convenience.

Create the ultimate bowl of chili with this recipe for Texas-style chili con carne. Starting on the grill for a touch of BBQ flavor, this chili recipe is built from numerous layers of flavor, including such unexpected additions as chocolate and tortilla chips to create mouthwatering results.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Woooohoooo! Congrats!

fracmeister we just had a discussion on this very subject a couple of weeks ago. Since I am more or less computer illeterate maybe one of them could link you to it. Some pretty good recipes.

Comment

Some good ones here

Comment

This recipe won the Terlingua International Chili Cookoff twice: in 2005 and 2009.

Sahara Chili

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely a very, very good one. I gave it over in the other post.

I like Malcolm Reed's smoked chuck chili.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lrjXzR8cdlJRXJLw1fxaT515EMyRaKMZzhlSbMMRcXJpAtkfL9JnXMADV3y8KPMTOkoilo3hYsKH0qqf82hBh3SVesX5N5SMc8ztOL0bQIDlxeMMNAkEvCCh0p94yQYoC2-EdavGnHiVHi5bptD3JIpr7ixU1ORXG2yJQKYUVA1kzMaSNn-WPqKKRbL2Q0TLO4Gd0qDitkLqqP2Sd3zyJdKkK2Bed3pB-lpBxb5YkOfuwrdkol8ZSiiM40Ny05-
Views:	1627
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	744812

Comment

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          Our favorite!

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks amazing!! Awesome photo! That’s right up my alley!

ecowper has a great recipe. Haven't seen him hereabouts in quite some though.

Comment

If you have won before use your original recipe and go head to head.

perhaps a battle to the death.
          DILLY DILLY..

I have judged more than a few and I doubt you or he won with a turkey chili or vegan chili so I’m thinking the judges will never remember your previous winning recipe.

Comment

I second Attjack 's suggestion. Malcolm Reed's Smoked Chuck Chili is the best I've ever made. It has it all--smoky, spicy, rich-tasting. Delicious.

https://howtobbqright.com/2017/11/02...-chili-recipe/

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I gotta give this one a try. Thanks for the link Kathryn.

He delivered a brisket chili last year but he is really my only competition against the ground beef and crockpot crowd

I wil try a couple of these in advance.

Comment

I have been rereading Kenji’s Food Lab, and he has a recipe that looks really good. The photo really shows a nice chili con carne dish, that too me, looks like a chile con carne. A bit thicker chile sauce and nice chunks of meat. That may give you some ideas to add to whatever you come up with.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                The pressure cooker version is pretty much my go to. I had been a Jane Butel Bowl of Red devotee, but the JKLA P-cooked version, with smoked chuck instead of seared is the truth.

In all modesty I like mine

Comment

The issue is ALWAYS the judges. Are they expecting beans? Can they take the heat? Do they like cumin?

Comment

• MattTheGR8
                  MattTheGR8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed! Several years ago the judges at my office's annual soup/chili contest awarded the best chili to a turkey soup that had been labeled "Thanksgiving Chili", while my smoked brisket chili didn't even place. I haven't even bothered entering the contest since then.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If they don’t like cumin... they have no business judging. ;-). Get a rope...

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                The issue is ALWAYS the judges. Are they expecting beans? Can they take the heat? Do they like cumin?
                That's why I don't care who the winner is ... I just have to do something better than my friend... WE will both know.

Comment

• Willy
                  Willy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like your style!

I agree with fzxdoc and Attjack on Malcolm Reed's recipe. In fact, I won a chili cook-off hosted by the Winston Salem Jaycees last year competing against over 20 other contestants (I didn't know a soul). I used a leftover frozen brisket point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here