Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long distance recipe success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long distance recipe success!

My daughter lives in Chile. There is a chili contest next week, and she wanted to know if her dad, the vaunted chilimaster of Mountain Top PA, had any recipes to share.

Of course I do.

Then she found out that the contest required her to make 10 kilos of chili, and she has this tiny apartment and mini-kitchen. Not impossible, but pretty much out of the question for a beginner. Heck, I wouldn’t do it, especially in her apartment. But, she said, now I want to make chili!

Now, Mosquette has some unusual preferences: she doesn’t like onions, she doesn’t like tomatoes. They can be okay in recipes, but raw onions and tomatoes are out. HOWEVER, the original Bowl of Red... the product of the Chili Queens of San Antonio... you can make that without tomatoes or onions. So, via texting, I coached her through it.

1 1/2 kilos of huachalomo (Chilean word for chuck roast)
    4 cloves garlic
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
    beef broth, chicken broth, or lager beer
    aji verde (green aji peppers)
    salt & pepper
    masa harina

I had to stick with stuff she could get, and would use, so no dried chile peppers. Via text I gave her the process: cubing and browning the beef, sweating the garlic and peppers and spices, deglazing with the liquid, simmering uncovered until the beef cubes are soft, mixing the masa with water and adding it in. Then after it simmers, taste it frequently: if it needs more salt, or pepper, or cumin, or chili powder, if it seems watery, or too thick, etc. You know. Cooking. Instead of reading a recipe. She sent a photo right after she poured in the beer:

Click image for larger version  Name:	F06A1273-0018-4A8A-AD61-71E66A0CFF5B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	258.5 KB ID:	704421

Her reply, in texts: "Dad." "Amazing." "We. Loved it. Thank you!"

I told her that the basic outline is almost 200 years old, and that it was what chili tasted like back when it was first cooked, and she was pretty impressed by that.

You know, chili is pretty adaptable, but the basics can be a revelation. If you are used to the endless variations of ground beef and tomatoes chili, beans or no beans, oddball ingredients, special spice blends, and it all gets tiresome. If you do try this, you will be astonished at how good it is. (And, if you add an onion, it is still really good.)

Maybe you should talk Huskee into a services offered channel here, you could be the resident coach!

Comment

Family text cooking school !!!!
      luv it
      And the chili looked good

Comment

Mosca = Recipe Texting Coach

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Rtc

Tell her Great lookin pot o chili, sez I!
        Nice Job, Dad!

Comment

Not too shabby. Way to go.

Comment

And no beans....THANK YOU !!!!!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m with the no beans party.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Even though th dogs would bury their beef bones in th yard, no cattle ever sprung forth, so we added beans, to help stretch out our bellies closer to th full mark
              I make chilis with, an without, an when ya meet a good bowl of chili, it don't matter one whit to me, whether, or not it has beans...

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with ya, Mr. Bones. I grew up eating my family's pork, but we didn't have a cattle herd, so my family didn't eat beef a lot. Beans, being less expensive but still nutritious and filling, were (and still are) a good way to stretch a recipe to feed a hungry family. Just like noodles and potatoes stretched my grandma's one chicken to feed a large family gathering. I didn't think nuthin' of it back then and I still don't. Maybe that's my poor folk upbringing showing, but I'm okay with that.

For anyone interested in the history of chili:

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Great article

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              This part was hilarious... "for no stranger, no matter how terrific a durned fool he is, ever calls for a second dish. He almost always calls for a big cistern full of water, and you can’t put the water in him fast enough with a steam engine hose."

Very nice! Saving this recipe next to fzxdoc meatloaf recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
              And no beans....THANK YOU !!!!!
              From 1877:

”Speaking of hot things, at San Antonio they have a dish called chili con carne. It is of Mexican origin, and is composed of beef, peas, gravy and red pepper. It is awful seductive looking, and gives a fellow the idea that he has a soft thing on hash. They always have enough to go around, for no stranger, no matter how terrific a durned fool he is, ever calls for a second dish. He almost always calls for a big cistern full of water, and you can’t put the water in him fast enough with a steam engine hose.”

peas = beans.

For my taste, I love it both ways, and all ways: basic, complicated, Texas style, Eastern style, Cincinnati style, beans, no beans, tomatoes, no tomatoes, hot, mild, in between, canned, frozen, on hot dogs, and hot dog chili cold from the can with a spoon.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm going to stick my neck and say you kind of like chil

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll have what Brother Mosca is havin, please!
                Big Bowl, if'n yall don't mind...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 30, 2019, 01:05 PM. Reason: n vs m

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                peas=beans....now I hate beans too....yeesh

Nice.. I and the rest of Latin America use Whatsap for texting, frre and works great.. I won a chilli cook off a few years back here in Buenos Aires. (loaded the chile with 2 briskets) Let us know how she does..

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                We use WhatsApp all the time, even for phone calls! She isn’t entering the competition, it’s too big of a challenge for someone who doesn’t really know what she’s doing yet.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent but that Texas Monthly article Mosca posted above hits on an interesting point, chili really used to be the state dish of Texas. Everyone thinks of barbecue and especially brisket but chili (and you can read the article) used to be it. I say used to be because bbq has since taken the throne.

When I first moved to Houston in the 1970s, the largest rodeo on the planet, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, had as one of its main attraction a chili cook off in the parking lot of the Astrodome. Think of it as a kind of mega tailgating event. Mixed in with the chili were these guys and their big offsets cooking barbecue as well. As the bbq grew and the chili faded, eventually the name changed to the Barbecue Cookoff rather than the Chili Cookoff. Kind of a joke there in the transition years when bbq was all you could get at the event, the name remained the Chili Cookoff.

Bit of Texas history and lore, thought I'd share.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Reckon as long as there was chili / and / or BBQ, I'm good with th menu!
                I'll muddle through, somehow, dang it!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the barbecuing was there originally to support the making of the chili. Good bbq brisket or pork butts or whatever made a good dish even better. I guess folks discovered eating the meat directly was the better way to go !!!

Mosca, you da man!

Comment

Looks great, I'll have to try this basic recipe. Sometimes less is more

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ..or more or less.

The chili looks great! Awesome it was a success. I completely understand the text coaching through a recipe. My daughter is on her own and she had asked how I make cheesy scalloped potatoes. We were at the coast when she sent me a text. I walked her through all the procedures and about how much of each ingredient to use. She later responded that it turned out just like mine! She had asked me for a cookbook of all the things I made as she was growing up as a Christmas gift.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fantastic Job, Ma!
                  That Cookbook will forever be a treasured family heirloom...!!!
                  If'n I beg purty please, with sugar on top, mebbe, ya could share some yer receipts with us, as well???
                  We would be honoured, Sister...

• tamidw
                  tamidw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha! Thanks, Mr. Bones. I will have to figure it out as I honestly don't really have 'recipes' per se. I am still struggling to get her a complete cookbook! If I have any worthy of sharing, I definitely will.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here