Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking, smoked short rib soup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking, smoked short rib soup?

This should be pretty easy. It's all going to depend on how the vacuum pack of ribs smells when I open it, the ones I thawed last weekend and forgot about.

Aside from the usual carrots onions celery garlic, I'm thinking some cabbage, some white beans, and peas. I'm going to sear the ribs, then let them get some smoke, grill the vegetables, and simmer them in broth for a while. Bay leaves, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper. Maybe a can of tomatoes?

Any further suggestions are welcome. Corn would be good.

Likes your thinking. Maybe a bit of bacon.

Comment

It sounds very good! I try to have at least a couple of short ribs left after a cook. Diced with a sautéed onion and cooked in pinto beans they're great. We love our beans in Texas. A lot of restaurants in south Texas have them as part of their breakfast menu.

Comment

Seems like beef stew. I’d check some stew recipes to see if you missed anything that could be good.

short rib stew sounds delicious.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends on how thick the broth is. From the time I made the original post until now, I was thinking of it becoming stew!

You could use it to make that goulash that Anton32828 posted earlier. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...gulyas-goulash

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I’d love that, Mrs probably wouldn’t.

If they are cryovaced they should be fine. They will just have done a week of wet aging. Shoot I wet age brisket and steaks for several week in cryovac sealed packages and they just develop a better flavor. Look up wet aging, for references on it. Just make sure you didn't have a leak.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought them and froze them myself. Who knows. But the seal is still tight.

Some root veg like parsnip or turnip would be nice. New potatoes like fingerlings. I would think it would be a rich/uncious soup. Perhaps an acid... good sherry. Green onion?

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some Cabernet I’m going to use. Haven’t decided on the potatoes yet. They might not get along with the noodles. I love parsnips, Mrs used to but doesn’t any more. I’d put rutabagas in there, but I would have to go downtown to get them, the groceries up here on the mountain don’t carry them.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca Man I’m batting ... well .. Zero!

Noodles... nice! Big O mushroom chunkage? Cab, yum! You may still need something to cut it though. Dang! I’m getting excited about your soup. I’m stupid.

Consider doing a full smoke on the beef and then adding it to the pot at the end, off-heat. This is what I do with chuck roast when I make chili.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going to go three hours, grill the veggies, and finish it all in the Instant Pot.

Same suggestion as JeffJ, I've done a ton of soups like Caldo de Res using smoked chuck that I took up to the stall. Not a lot of smoke after that. It adds a great dimension to the soup. Cook it, take some pictures and show us your wears Mosca !! Who knows where it may end up

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s on! I’m going to do 3 hours, then grill the vegetables and finish it all in the Instant Pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	156DAB29-B3E9-4121-8ED8-F95AF5D59F3D.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	697108Click image for larger version

Name:	A23A4A6A-884E-45A4-89A7-1E2A6FC7A03A.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	697107
        Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	044FE205-73D7-4FCE-AD48-92E228B3B5C8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	697168

Name:	image_91998.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	697166

Click image for larger version  Name:	E969189A-7616-4792-B861-72CC35287BDC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	697167
          Last edited by Mosca; June 18, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            That's gonna be awesome!

Name:	5901FB39-6EDA-4A99-B1C1-AEE2A391594F.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	697178

Comment

Foiled by the Instant Pot.

The soup came out fine, but there was a strange aftertaste. It tasted like the Instant Pot sometimes smells after a cook. I googled and discovered that sometimes the silicone gasket takes on an odor and imparts it to the next cook.

Oh well. Not everything comes out great.

It was pretty obvious. I poured it down the sink. Better luck next time. I ordered new gaskets.

Everything I used was stuff I already had on hand, so I was only out old money. And some time chopping vegetables. It was an all day rain here, s I didn’t miss much.

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Bummer Mosca . That would have been fantastic!

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I was so confident I live blogged it. But sometimes things don't turn out.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Next time it will turn out the way you want it to.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here