Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxtail stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxtail stew

Made oxtail stew. Never tried cooking oxtails before. Have had the soup at good German places before. So...
    A lot of trimming involved. Then, not much meat really coming off the bone. Two whole tails, one bottle of wine. The usual onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Roasted and added carrots and potatoes at the end. You can't really cut the meat off the bone, you have to pull it. Then, some cartilage was kept, couldn't tell until you ate it. It was great, the best stew I ever made. But too much work, two tails only made 4 bowls. That was 6 pounds. I should have weighed the meat at the end. I would guess 2 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_210907.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	663580

I appreciate yer insight, an experience!
    Saves me a whole lotta labour...

Comment

Hmmm....maybe this southern boy is confused, but I was raised on ox tail that didn't require any trimming, so I'm not sure I follow. I just stew them down, bone/cartilage and all and the meat comes off pretty easily, except for when you might have to reach in and slurp some nooks and crannies out here and there. That looks great!

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Could it be that what you got was already trimmed? Mine was tails, just skin off. When I have seen them in the store they were trimmed already. There was quite a bit of fat to trim from what I got. It seemed it was all nooks and crannies to me, and the skinny end didn't have much worth removing.
        Last edited by Mark V; April 12, 2019, 09:27 PM.

• JOE E
        JOE E commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree have to let it cook down..Recently made beef barley soup with oxtails and it was very good. They are expensive tho.

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, so you got a whole tail, got it. No, I've never started with the whole tail, just the already cut up pieces (tail vertabrea?) I can see how that would be a pain. I'm sure it costs more, but see if you can find it already broken down. There's no trimming at that point.

Thanx for the insights on the oxtail stew..
      Looks really good Mark V

Comment

Next time you do some, do them osso bucco style ala Troutman .

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ked-osso-bucco

I substituted ox tails for the osso bucco in the recipe, and they were off the charts.

Comment

Yes pre-smoking adds a whole new dimension to ox tail stew. Also try serving over garlic mashed potatoes. Great cook, thanks for posting !!!

Comment

Well, it does look good.

Comment

The downside of the rise in cooking popularity is all those awesome cuts like oxtail and skirt steak that used to be cheap are now not so cheap. Man i love oxtail.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here