Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Chefs--Question About Making Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Chefs--Question About Making Stock

I have what I think is a common problem Pit-wide--freezer space. In the interest of minimizing the space taken up by homemade stock, I ask: Why not reduce it to the consistency of a glace de viande or close? I'm making stock right now and I intend to reduce the three gallons of water I started with to something on the order of a quart--four cups instead of four to six quarts. Is there a reason this is not more common, especially for home cooks?

Seems to me that adding a cup of heavily reduced frozen stock, then diluting with two or three cups of water when adding to a soup or stew is a great way to save freezer space and maintain high taste and quality.

What say you pros?

Yes, I reduce/fortify stock all the time. Pour into zip-top bags and freeze flat. They stack nicely that way and take up less space.

Comment

The way you describe is what I have read about and also heard about on a pod cast. He reduces down and then will freeze and use small amount to then build a stock when he needs it. I think you should go for that!

Comment

You can also freeze in an ice cube tray and then put them in ziploc bags after they freeze.

Comment

Certainly. What kind of stock are you making so late in the day?

I’m not sure of your methods but make sure you taste it all the way down. Stocks can get over reduced and give you an undesirable outcome if you are not careful. It would be a shame to have your hard work and patience ruined.

Be sure to strain well. It would help if you can refrigerate for a day and keep and clean the cold fat that rose to the top, then reduce on the second day tasing all the way down.

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            It's actually toward the end of the second day. I removed the bones/meat/veggies last night and cooled it, then removed the solidified fat this AM. Other than peppercorns and bay leaves, it has no additional seasoning beyond the bones and veggies.Straining is on tap for tonight, but I suspect (do not KNOW) that straining is more for aesthetics--am I wrong?

What would be the signs of over-reducing? Would re-hydrating counteract over-reduction?

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Over reduction comes out in flavor and can sometimes get bitter. Also the mouth feel of the stock. I would clean it for sure. Just as we have questions about stock we should also have them about peppercorns and bay leafs.

Also retaste when you dilute it for use next time and adjust.

In general though you certainly can reduce chix and veal stock pretty low though it’s preferable to do that at the time of consumption or shortly before while cooking.
            Edit: you can’t take out bitter/burned
            Last edited by HouseHomey; March 14, 2019, 07:08 PM.

From personal experience - every stock I've ever made reaches a saturation point - further reduction in liquid fails to further concentrate flavor. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I've made a LOT of stock over the years and I've found this to be the case every time.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you are correct. Every batch is different and can be over reduced.

Like Texastweeter already mentioned... I freeze flat in ziplock bags using cookie sheets until frozen.

Comment

You got our resident chef HouseHomey on this one so don’t think I can offer any better advice. After reading Salt, Fat, Acit Heat I understand his taste all the way comments. Good luck. `

Comment

while we are on the subject, anyone here besides me use chicken feet, and wing flappers to make their stock... .SOOOO much better than the carcass.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                yep--I use 2-3 pounds of feet along with carcasses for every batch.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                10lbs of hard roasted feet per batch.

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                @HouseHomey--I'm guessing your batches are much bigger than mine. I do 2-3 gallons of water per batch.

Thanks a lot for your informed comments to my question. I am definitely NOT a trained chef nor am I a super-taster.

I think straining might be helpful if you're going to reduce the stock that far. It's going to remove solid bits that might affect the flavor as the stock reduces.

I've reduced chicken stock down to the point it starts to get syrupy with the same goal in mind to reduce volume to save freezer space. I agree with HouseHomey to be cautious when reducing that far. In my experience, the color darkens and the flavor gets a kind of bitter or sour overtone. Since that experience, I don't reduce stock that far -- more like reduce the volume by about half or two thirds. I want the stock to have a thick, rich mouth feel and be jiggly like Jello dessert when it's cold. I put the stock in vacuum bags, press as much of the air out as I can, then heat seal. Freeze as flat as possible.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here