Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe: Leek and cauliflower "green meanie" soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe: Leek and cauliflower "green meanie" soup

Slight disclaimer here: normally i would smoke the cauliflower first but my cookers are still bundled up for winter.

This is a staple in our house. Good way of feeding the kid(s) (and adults) some green veggies. Its pretty flexible too, you can add shredded chicken or bacon or what ever you might feel like.

3 leeks
    1 head of cauliflower (smoked for an hour or sonatb225 if you can)
    1/2 lb baby spinach
    4-6 stalks celery
    1 carton chicken stalk
    2 teaspoons in 2 cups water better than boullion (chicken)
    ~1/3 quart heavy cream
    6 tablespoons butter
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 little helper

1. Chop the leeks and sweat down in a dutch oven with the spinach, butter, and a liberal amount of salt and pepper
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0523.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	643177
    2. Cook these down on low for about 20 mins with the lid mostly covered, stirring occasionally.
    3. Have your little helper add the broth/stock and mixed better than boullion
    ​
    ​
    ​
    4. Bring back to the boil and add the (smoked) cauliflower and chopped celery. Cook down until they are fork tender, about 20 mins
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0529.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	643176
    5. get some immersion blending going until everything is smooth!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0531.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	643175Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0530.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.04 MB ID:	643174
    At this point i advise asking your little helper to stand back as it will splash a little and its hot
    6. Turn off the heat and stir in the heavy cream for about 5-10 mins
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0532.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.89 MB ID:	643173
    7. serve in a bowl with a dollop of sour cream and some parsley or whatever you prefer and enjoy. I promise you its ridiculously delicious
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0534.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	643179

Boy that sounds really good. Similar to a paleo-keto soup my wife makes. Have you tried eating in unblended? No good that way?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      grantgallagher Gotcha. Well as cute as he is, the soup deserves to be made the way HE likes it!

• NapMaster
      NapMaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Huskee Fantastic helper and future chef.

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd be tempted to blend the leek in but leave the califlower a bit more rustic.

Great looking soup. Thanks!

Comment

That looks good. Got to add it to the list.

Comment

Oh yeah.. Gonna steal this one.. My wife makes a really good califlower soup, but you've got some nice additions here like the leaks. On my list for sure.

Comment

Where do I get an apron like the chef has. 👍👍👍. 🕶

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            I was thinking the same thing. He's a cutie!

That looks so good and smoking the cauliflower is a get idea. Have you put chicken breast or thighs in it or would they just be better on the side to leave the soup creamy?

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Ive done both shredded chicken and bacon in there as a meat. If im adding chicken i with thin out the soup a little more.

This looks fantastic. Will surely try this one. You may have one for Troutman here.....

Comment

Soups looks good .Would be perfect on a cold ,storming day with some baked homemade buns . Thanks for sharing .

Comment

Wow that's a winner !! I really like that recipe, great work grantgallagher

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here