Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tortilla soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tortilla soup

I posted a bowl of tortilla soup in the SUWYAC topic and troymeister asked for the recipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190208_181850_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	383
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	634898

OK - here is my attempt at a recipe. The thing is, I go online and d/l several recipes that look promising and take what looks good from each. That works - most of the time... The two recipes I used were Amazing Chicken Tortilla Soup! by Valerie Marie and posted on food.com, and Chicken Tortilla Soup posted on The Pioneer Woman. And this is what I think I did:

TORTILLA SOUP

Enough oil to saute the peppers, onions, and garlic. I usually blend half and half olive oil and butter.
    3/4 med onion - chopped
    3 cloves garlic - minced
    1 med bell pepper, or 1/2 each bell and red pepper
    1 med jalapeno pepper chopped - include the "innerds" if you like more heat
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts ( I may use leftover smoked pulled pork next time.)
    1/2 package frozen plain corn
    1/2 can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and green chilis - I used fire roasted
    4 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 small can tomato sauce
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I garnished with grated Monerey Jack Cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream and avocado. You could also use chopped red onion and/or salsa or pico de gallo.

Cook the chicken in the chicken broth until tender enough to shred (~ 15 min) Remove chicken from broth and shred. Return to pot and continue cooking.
    Saute onion, garlic, jalapeno and green/red peppers in oil. Add to pot.
    Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer at least 30 minutes more, and up to an hour.

Serve with warmed tortillas or your favorite corn chips if desired.

RonB Thank You...I am going to try soon.

Comment

This looks killer. Saved into the archives! Thanks!

Comment

It's a hell of a soup.

Comment

Luv me some tortilla soup but I put sour cream corn chips on mine🤓

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Have it your way!

Thanks Ron. Saved it to try later this week. Always appreciate recipes other members have tried and posted.

Comment

The recipe you've come up with is real similar to the recipe I've tinkered on for awhile. If I've got them, I add fresh cilantro and a bit of lime juice to this soup right before serving, but the soup is very good without either. The recipe is real adaptable to whatever you have in the fridge for leftover meat and veggies. The ingredients that seem common to most recipes are beans, tomato, chiles, and warm spices in a savory light broth.

I've seen some versions of this recipe call for putting the tortilla chips in the soup. Eww. I like my chips on the side, just like you.

Hmmm. This thread has me hankering to make this for supper tonight. I have some smoked turkey in the freezer to use up. And we're supposed to get 8+ inches of snow starting tonight going through all day tomorrow. Good time for a hearty soup.

Comment

Sounds good. I too search and combine/modify recipes. I make my Chicken Tortilla soup with roasted Hatch Green chilis, cream, and no beans. Now I'm hungry and it's only 10:00!

IwoaGirl, I have made it once with smoked turkey and it was great

Comment

It's a staple in every Houston Tex-Mex restaurant and a personal favorite of mine, great work !!!!

Also serve with strips of fried tortillas for a crunchy condiment !!
                Last edited by Troutman; February 11, 2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I love coming back to this one. It just looks so darn good!!!!! Thanks again for posting!

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know right?

Soup looks awesome . Thanks for Sharing !

Comment

Thanks Ron. Just ran across this post. And this soup sounds really good. I don’t make soup often but this one I will have to try. Pending Wife’s approval.

Comment

RonB Your soup was delicious. I followed your recipe just about verbatim. Only thing I forgot to pick up some cilantro.
                      I will do this again for sure!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	635360

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm glad you liked it!

Mmmm, looks good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here