Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking, French onion soup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I make it, here are the critical elements:

Take sour dough bread - cut it into rounds - brush with olive oil and seasoning - slow cook it at 180 degrees in the oven for 2-3 hours. This is what will go into the bottom of the bowl.

Critical - A rich homemade beef stock.

Lots of onions caramelized slowly for about an hour. At that point, in batches, add a pint of bourbon and evaporate it into the onions. When adding the last bit of the pint don't fully evaporate it.

Use Gruyere cheese. It's expensive but it's so worth it.

Follow these steps and your soup will be more decadent than anything you will ever have dining out.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      A pint of bourbon! Sounds awesome, lol. Have you ever tried not evaporating all of it...

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      grantgallagher I evaporate almost all of it. I like to leave just a little bit.

Wow Mosca that looks rich and delicious. Looks like a great result. Impressive for your first try.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      With the many variations I saw, all getting 4 or 5 stars, the thought is that it is pretty easy. And it is, the only thing that takes time is caramelizing the onions. Other that that it is pretty much dump stuff in a pot.

Mosca it is pretty easy but I can't emphasize enough the importance of a rich homemade beef stock.

Comment

I make a good one so easily in The Crock Pot. Lots of carmelized onions and the sherry is essential. Good drinking quality sherry. My rule of thumb with all wines in cooking: there is no such thing as "cooking wine". If it’s not good enough to drink it will do nothing to improve your food .

Comment

So... take the time to caramelize the onions right, but here's a tip. Do them in a large skillet or dutch oven... INSIDE the oven at 350 or so. This takes even longer than the hour but it's mostly hands off time. Check and stir after the first hour.

But:

Do something like 10 onions. When they're done, put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Need some for soup? Pull from the freezer, add to the soup.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/06/...s-classic.html
        is a good look at the various methods.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 7, 2020, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Looks good.
          I've never made it in a crock pot...mostly because I've never owned one. My relatively new Instant Pot can be used like a slow cooker but I've never tried it in that mode.

I generally use a VERY large pot and cook more onions than I think I'll need. LOL
          I've not use bourbon, though that sounds tasty, but have used brandy...also tasty.
          Gruyere is a must for me. If not using a homemade beef stock, I ALWAYS opt for a low sodium variety so it doesn't turn into salt water with onions. I looked at one the other day and it had over 800 mg of sodium! O_o I'd rather add salt as needed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here