Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking, French onion soup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    I think the main thing is the rich stock; it'll work out fine! Get the onions done stove top,add some minced garlic at the end, add stock and maybe some thyme (a splash of balsamico might be good), simmer for an hour, put into crocks, add bread/cheese and broil 'til gooey. Enjoy!

• Mosca
    replied
    I was thinking of using the Instant Pot, but it doesn't look like it saves that much time, and results are inconsistent. I don't have any brandy, or port, or sherry. The weather is going to be bad today and I won't be able to get out to get some (at work now).

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Keys to French onion soup for me:

1) TONS of onions, well caramelized. Use some butter in the skillet.
    2) Good, deep, rich homemade stock. I use beef, but some use chicken. Chicken w/ BTB might just work. Watch the salt.
    3) I deglaze w/ some brandy
    4) I use a bit of white wine too (maybe 2/3 cup), but don't use too much so as to not dilute the stock.
    5) Leftover FOS is a great start for a stew.

A note on the onions: Last week when I made FOS, I tried using a CrockPot to caramelize the onions. I'd read you just throw in a wad of butter and let 'em stew all day. WRONG! The onions were badly textured--firm, one might say "al dente", even crunchy almost. If anyone has used a CrockPot successfully, I'd love to hear about where I might have gone wrong. Meantime, I'll just know that I need to spend an hour or more on the onions.

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    Did you run across the three articles on seriouseats? This one is sort of the "rationale" article. There's a link to the guy's recipe in it. And there's a third one by Kenji that uses a pressure cooker to reduce the caramelization time to 1/2 hour. Seems the theme is "simpler is better". https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/...elization.html

Let us know how it comes out!

Leave a comment:

• Elton's BBQ
    replied
    Go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic I'm thinking, French onion soup.

I'm thinking, French onion soup.

The weather is going to be nasty today, and tomorrow. That's good soup weather.

I've never made this, but how hard can it be? Caramelize some onions, add some broth, and season it. Top with crusty bread and cheese, and broil it.

I looked at a lot of recipes online. I have most of the ingredients for all of them, but there isn't any recipe where I have all of the ingredients. But on the other hand, if there are so many recipes, and they all seem to be pretty good, I should be able to come up with SOMETHING.

I don't have any sherry. But many recipes call for vermouth, dry white, or dry red wine. I have the red and the white.

Some recipes call for beef stock, some call for chicken stock. I have chicken stock, and I have Better Than Bullion beef paste.

I got lots of Gruyere cheese. I have a nice baguette getting slightly stale. French onion soup, here we come!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here