Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking, French onion soup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by EdF View Post
    Did you run across the three articles on seriouseats? This one is sort of the "rationale" article. There's a link to the guy's recipe in it. And there's a third one by Kenji that uses a pressure cooker to reduce the caramelization time to 1/2 hour. Seems the theme is "simpler is better". https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/...elization.html

Let us know how it comes out!
    My stepdaugter made Kenji's Pressure Cooker Onion soup recipe and it was awful! If you read some of the comments, you'll see that several people had the same experience that she did. After the "caramelization" step in the pressure cooker, all the onions had turned to mush and there was a ton of liquid. It was amazing how bad it was, from a texture standpoint. I was there and tried to help her salvage the recipe by reducing the liquid but it was pretty much mushy soup no matter what we did.

One key for good onions in French Onion Soup is to slice the onions at least 1/4 inch thick (I usually do 3/8 inch) from pole to pole, not crosswise. The onions tend to hold their shape better when sliced pole to pole and 1/4 inch thick.

I caramelize onions in my crock pot, using a modified version of an America's Test Kitchen recipe from their slow cooker cookbook that I own. The key is to par cook the sliced onions in the microwave with a little butter and salt to get a jump on eliminating some of the liquid so the caramelization can start.

I've put my recipes for Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions and for French Onion soup (which is a mash up of Julia Child's famous recipe, Ina Garten's, and a few tricks of my own) over on the recipe page and come back here and post a link to it.

I use homemade beef bone broth exclusively for the soup.

Here's the link to my recipe for French Onion Soup using Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions

It's not as labor-intensive as it looks. I caramelize the onions and make the beef bone broth on one day and assemble and simmer the soup the next.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 19, 2019, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I've tried several of her recipes - they have all been good.

• PappyBBQ
    replied
    I make this all time time and folks that eat it RAVE about it. Keys for me:
    1. Caramelize in small batches and cook them med low until they are the color of dark caramel. Deglaze the pan between each batch with vermouth.
    2. I use 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock.
    Last edited by PappyBBQ; January 19, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    Naw, it was really good. I didn't use canned stock, it was the stuff in the carton.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, you're gonna love it for sure!

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Attjack - seeing the kinds of things you cook, I'm sure you'll love it.

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    @Mosca: Not too salty?

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I made some beef soup about a month ago. I agree. But you can take that canned broth and add the Better Than Bullion to it, and it is amazing!

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    I'm going to use part of that recipe, actually. I'm going to use that ratio of beef broth to chicken broth. And that much white wine.

But I'm also going to use some fish sauce, some thyme, a bay leaf, some balsamic vinegar. I'm going to mix sweet, red, and yellow onions. The heck with shallots, they are too much of a PITA.

• Willy
    replied
    Do NOT use canned beef stock. Too thin and too salty. IMHO, that is.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I watched the video and realized I've never had French onion soup and I'm definitely missing out.

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Funny thing my daughter just called me the other day and asked if I ever made French Onion soup and I said no but it's been on my radar for awhile. She was going to make the Pioneer Woman's recipe which sounds darn good.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Call me when yer done. I’ll bring my own spoon. 😎

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Sounds like a delicious cold weather treat!

Lookin forward to seein how ya make it yer own, with what's available...

Main, yer house is gonna be all kinda smellin good, today!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    I love French Onion Soup! So good, and it doesn't take long to cook. I use chicken broth and some white wine. But there are many variations. Good choice!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here