Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low carb thickener for stew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low carb thickener for stew?

Has anyone ever tried using psyllium husk as a thickener for beef stew? If so, can you add to a hot stew or does it behave like cornstarch where you need to mix it with cold water first? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I don't know but would assume a slurry is the way to go.

Comment

Arrowroot ... much lower carbs and calories. Normally interchangeable with cornstarch in equal amounts.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, i have read that arrowroot is very useful. I will probably order some as i dont have any. Looking for something i can use since i actually have coconut and almond flour and psyllium husk in the house.

Depending on how much you use, I would wonder if it might have the same effect as adding Metamucil or Miralax.

Comment

I like to use almond flour or psyllium husk. I find that they both work well. I am going to check out arrowroot too, after seeing this.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I just add a little at a time until I get the consistency I want. Maybe 1/4 per 5 qt of chili.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          So you add directly to cooked product and just stir in? Sounds good!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I stir it in as it is being cooked. Then I can gauge if I need to add more or less. grantgallagher

Don’t need to slurry psyllium.

Comment

Perfect. Thank you all

Comment

How about taking a couple of cups of the liquid and buzz with tapioca starch or Xanthem Gum? Then add it back.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Those would definitely work (not that Homey needs my affirmation)!

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Im wary of xantham gum. I find it very easy to overshoot and end up with an undesirable texture for a gravy or sauce
              Last edited by grantgallagher; January 6, 2019, 06:23 AM.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with Grant... I've made great things with Xantham, I've made some with just the wrong texture. Tapioca is not a bad idea, but it's also prone to gelling a bit more than you'd like.

Fantastic reference material above, many thanks to yall!

I always jus use gentle, simmerin heat, an time. Lidless, or cracked lid, dependin on time frame needed...
            Adds Zero Carbs.

I do understand we ain't always got time; Life gits busy, an it's always great to know workarounds, clock-cheaters, an efficient, effective ways to expedite finished product, especially with folks waitin to be fed.

Comment

How about some sure-gel.. use it for thicken up my rasperry jam.. no idea on how much to use but just an idea .

Comment

Shame the ThickNThin folks were two LC bumps ago, because they made the best stuff for flour replacements for specific purposes.

Comment

Depending on the kind of stew...Okra is used as a thickener for cajun and creole cooking. Also, tomato paste is a decent thickener, although probably not enough on its own unless you are looking for a REALLY tomatoey stew - probably not but it could serve as part of a 1-2 punch of thickeners.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    tomato paste can also up the carbs once you get beyond enough to just flavor.

Yup. I ended up using tomato paste and then whisking in psyllium husk. The results are posted kn another thread. The psyllium husk thickened the stew nicely but i think i added a little too much as it started to take on am almost gelatenous texture

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Occupational hazard. Gotta be very judicious with these things and work very slowly.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here