Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gumbo recipe as requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumbo recipe as requested

A couple of people asked me for a gumbo recipe so here it is tbob4 and Attjack :

Feeds 20-25 people
    Fills a 12qt pot

Ingredients:

2 1/2# smoked pork sausage
    3# boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1# pork tasso (optional)
    2 1/2# yellow onion
    1/2# celery (1 bag)
    3 green bell peppers
    1 head garlic minced
    2 jalapenos
    1 poblano pepper
    2 1/2# rice
    36oz water
    64oz chicken stock

Roux Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup flour

3/4 cup oil or fat (I typically use vegetable oil or butter)

Seasonings:
    1 TBS black pepper
    1 TBS garlic powder
    1/2 TBS white pepper
    1/2 TBS red pepper flakes
    1/4 TBS cayenne
    1 TBS paprika
    2oz Worcestershire
    3-4 TBS kosher salt

Herbs:
    1 Bay leaf
    1/2 TBS basil
    1 TBS oregano
    1 TBS parsley

Steps:

1. Heat a pan or pot to medium-high heat. Lightly season chicken thighs if you'd like with little salt and some pepper. (you are already using 4 TBS salt so you really don't need to add more with seasoning the chicken. I typically only season with a little pepper.) Brown chicken thighs on each side until golden brown and remove from pan. (I will usually split my chicken thighs into 6 chunks by cutting down the middle and across.)

2. Slice sausage 1/4 inch thick and brown in pan and remove from pan. (You can cut the sausage link in half length wise then slice 1/4 inch thick if you wish.)

3. Dice all vegetables and proceed to brown in pan. Remove from pan. (Some people do not do this step with gumbos and just throw the veggies in with the liquid. I like to brown and get some kind of flavor on the veggies beforehand.)

Roux:

Most people will make a roux using a 1:1 ratio. I typically use almost half the amount of fat as flour so the flour has less fat to cook through and can save a lot of time.

If using butter, watch your heat as butter has a lower smoke point and the last thing you want is burnt roux smell in your house.

For making rouxs I use my 6 qt cast iron pot, but any kind will suffice.

**TIP**What I typically do to add thickness to my gumbos is when you are half way cooking your roux(darker peanut butter color), scoop out about 20% of it and leave off to the side and add to the gumbo when about to bring to a boil with all ingredients.**

1. Set heat to medium-medium high heat and add all fat or oil to pot. Let heat up to almost smoking point. Gradually add flour while constantly stirring, making sure everything is being moved around and sitting.

2. Keep gradually adding the flour until all is in the pot. After all flour has been added, keep stirring for 20-30 minutes while keeping an eye on your heat. The darker the roux the more flavorful it will be.

3. Keep stirring until the color of the roux has the color of a rich glass nesquick chocolate milk. ( I always use that reference haha. Still drink nesquick everday!)

4. Whenever you like the color of your roux, remove from heat and continue to stir. It will continue to cook when off the heat. To cool off more quickly, I like to add my browned vegetables to the roux.

Steps Cont'd:

4. Add chicken stock, water, veggies and roux to the pot on medium-high heat. As pot is getting to a boil, add all seasonings and reserved roux (if pulled from earlier) to pot. Do not add herbs at this step.

5. Once at a boil, add chicken to pot and turn down to simmer for 30 minutes or more. Proceed to add herbs and sausage after 30 minutes. I typically let mine simmer for 2 hours or so if I have the time.

6. Serve with rice and enjoy!

These are also the measurements I use for jambalaya. And sometimes I will smoke a pork butt half way for jambalaya then cube it up and finish cooking it in the pot with the other ingredients.

Thank you sir!

Comment

Oh man, thank you!

Comment

Nice. Thank you. That's a lot of gumbo!

Comment

No okra?!?!?

Not sure if this counts as gumbo

Comment

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            First time I made gumbo I added okra, though i never had okra before. The gumbo came out all gelatinous. I thought I did something wrong. Found out it was what okra did. Tossed the whole pot out.

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            TripleB got to rinse the okra after cutting it. Or dumping it from the can.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, you beat me to it. No okra, indeed.

This is great! Thank you.

Comment

Thank you very much!!!

Comment

Very nice thanks for taking the time to post it!

Comment

What about adding shrimp? If so, how much for this quantity?

Comment

• cwain8845
                  cwain8845 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i cook my seafood gumbos a little different. I've never done a shrimp and chicken gumbo if that is what you are asking. But to feed 20-25 for a chicken and shrimp i would say for 20/24 count shrimp then 3 lbs or so. And obviously throw those in at the very end.
                  I also don't have a seafood recipe written down because I hardly ever make it.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Most I have had have been shrimp and sausage. But I think I will try chicken also. Hope I don't regret it.

if anyone makes this post back and let me know what you think.

Comment

Thank you. As long as you are giving up the family recipes... How about your red bean and rice recipe..

Comment

Thanks. Yes I will be making some. I spent some time in New Orleans and I can't find the same gumbo around Chicago.

Comment

Great write up, an tutorial, Many Thanks!

When I use shrimp (Almost always ), I put a ~fourth, up to a ~third in at th start, to cook down, an provide flavour into th mixture, then add th rest like ya said, towards th end, to provide th texture...
                      Same with gator meat...

Comment

Sounds delicious. Definitely gonna try this. Thanks.

Comment

My wife and I spent today making your recipe. That is one fantastic pot of gumbo. Better than any gumbo we have had in restaurants. Thank you for posting it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here