Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead’s Tomato Soup *and* Grilled Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead’s Tomato Soup *and* Grilled Cheese

Today my wife and I, at her request, made the big guy’s recipe for Sexy Smoked Cream of Tomato Soup. I smoked the veggies on my 26” kettle w/ SNS at ~220 - 250F with just a small handful of cherry wood bits from the end of a bag. The soup recipe calls for doubling his marinara recipe, and as you can see it took two rounds to get everything smoked. We did add the optional sugar to offset the acidity, and also added some red pepper flakes. We were able to hold back plenty of the marinara (what you have before pressing thru a strainer and adding milk) for another meal - win! I really liked all the flavors I don’t typically associate with tomato soup. It wasn’t as thick as he suggested, but I suspect this is partly due to winter time grocery store tomatoes that are water-heavy. We both really liked it, but we think it’ll be much better and with a more significant tomato taste with summertime tomatoes. In fact, we already talked about doubling this recipe (to 16 pounds of ‘maters!) next summer and just taking a day to make marinara and soup and freezing some.

Now, while my dear wife was pressing marinara thru a strainer I decided it only made sense to stir up the coals, top them off with a dozen more briquettes and get the kettle back up to temp for some grilled cheese sandwiches. We had some extra thick cut bread, and used three pieces of American cheese on each. Last time I did this I used half the butter Meathead recommended and the bread was too much like a crouton, so this time I slathered it on shamelessly. Boom! Damn good grilled cheese!

A great comfort food meal on the grill before the snow and ice hit, thanks AR! 👍🏻
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FishTalesNC; December 8, 2018, 12:35 PM. Reason: Changing icon from thumbs up (which displays a thumbs down) to a smiley. This is definitely not thumbs down!

Thumbs down in the subject line? Looks like it was a success!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      It was! Selecting the thumbs UP icon actually displays a thumbs DOWN, ugh. Fixed with a smiley!

This sounds excellent. It is about 10 F here and I need this. wait........I do have some ribs going too.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell ya what, I’ll bring some soup and we’ll enjoy your ribs.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Deal! FishTalesNC

All looks/sounds delicious!!!!

Pics #8, #9... Frogmat?

Lookin fer recommendations on a trusted grillin mesh/mat...
    Thanks, amigo!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 8, 2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir Mr. Bones, frogmat! I haven’t used anything else to compare, but really like this thing. I’ve smoked nuts, even flipping sugary coated ones, with no issues. Veggies no trouble. Not for direct heat, but you can see how close I have it to the SNS and it shows no wear. Really love how pliable and easy to clean they are. Fold up, put in dishwasher, roll it up and put it away. 👍🏻

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks FishTalesNC jus what I was needin to hear!

I've seen several similar products, but no reviews from folks I've grown to trust...

That sounds mighty tasty.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Worth a try RonB. Do you grow your own tomatoes? I bet you’d make a wicked good batch of this...

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - I do grow my own tomatoes, and was thinking next summer would be the time to try this.

Besides chili, grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite winter meals. Yours looks very good!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, it is worth the effort I think! Luckily I have leftover chili in the fridge to go with the 5-6” of snow we got overnight. Comfort food at the ready!

Nice way to use all that real estate on your 26" Weber, FishTalesNC . Looks like a delicious meal.

Have you tried Huskee 's method of smoking the sauce for his pull-out-all-the-stops lasagna? It's another tasty comfort food meal:

Even health nuts break down and have lasagna once in a while, right? I call this lasagna Huskee's Ultimate Lasagna since I cut no corners and spare no calories.

Kathryn

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      OH my goodness... that’s is going to have to happen! Smokey lasagna = heaven! Thanks for the heads up!
      BTW fzxdoc thx to your incredibly helpful stickied posts in the PBC sub forum I, er... Santa, pulled the trigger. I’ll be venturing out of the kettle world - very excited!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Congrats on your incoming PBC, FishTalesNC . Santa has good taste.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here