Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Meathead's Smoked Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Meathead's Smoked Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe

SWMBO just loves tomato soup, and since I'm hoping to scratch my MCS itch soon, I'm trying to keep her quite happy and fulfill this request! But I want to make sure I understand something about his smoked tomato soup recipe before I jack it up...

The recipe method says he likes to smoke the ingredients at 225F for about 30 min. The recipe ingredients say to start with a double batch of his grilled marinara sauce. But the marinara sauce recipe says to grill the ingredients at medium hot until grill marks are achieved. I'm guessing I ignore that grilling part of the marinara recipe, and instead ONLY smoke the ingredients? Then continue on with the marinara recipe, and when complete move on to Step 2 of the tomato soup method?

Any suggestions as to type of wood for smoking? I'll be doing this on a kettle, wondering if briquettes are going to provide enough smoke. I have some pecan and apple chunks on the lighter side of things I could toss on.

Any help or tips are much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think I've ever used my kettle without a chunk or two, so we must love smoke flavor. For what it's worth, I have a bag of apple and cherry and don't use them anymore.

I use hickory for pork, mesquite for beef, and oak for veggies. So going light is right. I usually put one chunk above the coals, on the upper grate.

Here I charred the hickory and am about to pull the bird, it's done. I added mesquite to cook the ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spatch Chicken & Riblets.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	601526

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks JGo37 I tried setting my wood chunks on the grate above the SNS when I did the Thanksgiving turkey this year. My goal was to see if it reduced spikes in temps during the cook - had a theory the chunks would ignite and cause this. Didn't prove out. But I do think it lends itself to a more mild smoke profile, and I think that'll be good for veggies!

I envy that dish you're taking on. I don't do complex cooks - ha! stuff with ingredients!! - often enough. And I enjoy it, I just get rushed and forget to slow down and smell the tomatoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KA Peps.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	601536

Comment

Nice catch! The recipe was unclear. I have fixed it. Use the same ingredients and technique as the marinara, just smoke them instead of grilling them. But where are you getting ripe tomatoes this time of the year?
      Last edited by goldie; December 3, 2018, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, thanks EdF you read my mind... as I was replying I was thinking "hmm, what kind of tomatoes would work best here?" 👍🏻

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        FishTalesNC They're good quality tomatoes for wintertime.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        When I can't find really good ripe tomatoes (which is most of the time around here) I switch to high quality canned ... specifically Cento brand San Marzano (whole, peeled) tomatoes from Italy. To be honest, the Cento San Marzanos are so good, I seldom even bother to look for ripe tomatoes in the grocery store ... I just head straight to the canned foods section instead.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here