Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork spare rib chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork spare rib chili

So I have some spare rib trimmings in my freezer that I've been trying to think of what to do with. Chili keeps coming up and sounds pretty good for this mid Nov colder weather, so thinking I may do that. Was wondering if anybody has any tips, recipes or ideas on how to make some delicious pork spare rib chili. Some of the meat is still connected to the sternum bone. How would you guys go about cooking it up? Should I smoke the meat a little bit first or boil them up in a stock? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Smoking will flavor! Sound like a good excuse to fire up the smoker!

Comment

OK, sheer projection here. If it were me, I'd smoke them to tender - should be faster than doing spares. Maybe a little "Mexican" oriented rub before smoking.

Get them out on a board when they've cooled a bit and cut the meat off the cartilage and sternum. Cut down any over-large meat pieces, then put them in the pot as you would any other meat.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm liking the Mexican idea and I have a plethora of spices for that.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Plethora. Not only can i get cook knowledge here but vocabulary tips too

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers The Pit is an educational institution of the highest sort!

Were it me, I'd smoke yer rib parts, git that taste goin on...

I'd likely then skin th bones, set th meat aside in covered container to preserve moisture content...

I take th rib bones, etc. remnants, an boil em down some, make a rich stock, then use it as my chili base, an begin assembly...

I loves me some rib chili; usually I'm startin with ribs already smoked, sometimes jus saved bones from my icebox...

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah!

I like the broth idea. Heree's another take though. Put smoke on them for an hour or two. Then remove the meat from the bones. Then cut the meat to size and brown the it in a pan. Then add to the chili and cook 'till the meat is tender.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's actually what I was going to do. I want to get the meat in the chili sooner than later because I don't have all day to cook it. Going to start getting stuff together soon.

Smoke the ribs but make sure they aren't fall off the bone cooked. Then cut the meat up and finish them in the pot so they can meld with the rest of the ingredients. I'm making no-holds-barred chili on Friday for the Michigan/Indiana tailgate. I'll be smoking a chuck roast about 90% done and will finish tenderizing it (after I've cubed it) in the pot.

Comment

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly what I did. It turned out great. Also had a bit of chuck that I smoked and tossed in as well.

Quite timely. I just took mine and made a really rich stock. Love having that in the freezer!

Comment

I just did this smoked pork chili from a pork loin packer - agree with the smoked!

brined and dry aged the loin, smoked covered with smoked paprika, with KBB & hickory chunks

S&P, Garlic, Cumin, Oregano, Chili Powder, Cayenne Powder
        a bit of white vinegar
        roasted tomatoes and tomato paste
        chicken stock

roasted chopped Poblano, Anaheim, and Jalapeno's
        sliced celery off the Blackstone
        chopped white onion off the Blackstone

2:1 dark red kidney beans : pintos

served with crackers, shredded cheddar, sour cream & green onion. It was gone the next day.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Some of us don't need pics! Sounds wonderful!

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          It was good - didn't think about pics - simple and easy. I did have a post on how to heat it up a bit, but the post corrupted and came back a day late.

I liked leaving out the bell peppers this time and going with what I now think is more tasty.

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a sweet lookin' Chili. (I'm not sure that's a compliment)

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          I've just used spare ribs in my Jane Butel inspired New Mexico chili, but the author of this recipe seemed to hail from some place where celery features in chili, which I find odd. But as with all stews, ya use what ya got.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here