Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Chili Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Chili Search

Hey all.... I am in search of a nice brisket chili recipe. I have found on this site a good Cincinnati chile recipe and a chili con carne recipe, but I am looking for something more in the middle. The Cincinnati Chile recipe doesn't seem as though it would lend itself to chucks of brisket (both in texture and flavor). The con carne recipe is great, but I am looking for something a little less like a stew. I guess I am looking for the best of both worlds. I have tried a few I found online - but not too impressed and running a test kitchen on brisket and chili can be an expensive and very time consumer endeavor! Has anyone had any success with such a recipe?

It sounds like you might want to just make your own recipe. It's no big deal if you use a couple of easy concepts. Clili is just a beef soup using beef stock as a "base." The base flavors come from the stock(of course), and a combination of chili powder, cumin, thyme, and a bit of oregano. Onions, peppers, etc are for texture and a bit of flavor. How thick or thin depends on the ratio of stock to meat, etc., plus how much thickener you use(roux, cornstarch, etc.).

In the restaurant, we use chuck shoulder for chili, as we get a good deal on the chuck,and it makes killer chili! Brisket would easily work as well. Bottom line? Tell me what you want, how much, how thick, and I'll be happy to help you with a recipe.

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. Chili is an art and not a recipe. Each step requires adjustment.

I agree with Strat. Make a brisket, then slice it or shred it into a chili recipe. You should be fine.

Comment

I've done this on several occasions. I usually throw what is left of a brisket cook or a Pulled Pork cook into a big thing of chili. Really makes your chill that much better.

Comment

Me too. Our family (and friends') favorite chili is when I make it from extra brisket or pork shoulder. I tend to use onions, diced tomatoes, sometimes peppers, sometimes mushrooms and dare I say even beans, with some fresh ground spices to complement whatever seasoning is already in the meat.

Comment

I love bean and tomatoes in my chili from time to time. Corn too. When I make it with chuck, I heavily smoke for only a few minutes, then flour the diced beef, and brown in bacon fat till dark brown. I then remove the beef and add my diced onions, peppers, etc, and the chili powder, cumin, etc. I sweat these till the mixture starts to caramelize a bit, then add garlic, and caramelize a bit more. Deglaze with stock, beer, etc., then add the rest of the stock and simmer. If I am using beans, I do those in a separate pot. No salt. When beans are finished, I drain, rinse, and add to the chili. You can season the beans, but you'll get a buttery smoothness if you keep out the salt, as there will be enough salt in the chili to flavor the beans, Simmer all for 30-45 minutes to marry flavors.

When I use leftover "q" meat, I still flour and brown the meat. The extra browning adds great depth to the flavor. This is stuff I do for my own tastes and sensibilities. However, when I make chili for the restaurant, it goes *POOF* and disappears. Just a couple thoughts that might help someone.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here