Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Love Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love Some Advice

Okay dames and gents, I have a bunch of Anaheim and jalapeño peppers that I grew in the backyard. Yes, Seattle area was sunny and hot this year and I actually got good peppers. I’ve been using the jalapeños in my Texas beans and they are kicking!

About to make a batch of my chili and I’m thinking I want to use my chilis instead of chili powder. I would intend to roast the peppers, make a purée and add that rather than chili powder.

First, any thoughts on doing that? Make sense to people?

Second is, how much? Normally for a 3 lb chuck roast worth of chili, I use 3 tablespoons of American chili powder. So, how many peppers, what combination, should I pick up some other peppers to complement the jalapeños and Anaheim’s?

Click image for larger version

Name:	5424EE07-38FC-41E3-9CAC-660FEFA7B4BF.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	566359

Last edited by ecowper; September 15, 2018, 12:29 PM.

Roast them over coals until the skins falling off. then grind em up. The burnt skin adds to the flavor for me.
    If your sperm count is up for it, you can add habanero's

Comment

I would roast them on the coals till they start to char then into a paper or plastic bag to steam, I think I would toss in a onion as well, roast some garlic drizzled in olive oils, while your at it if you have some tomatoes you can roast these for a more intense flavor once all steamed I would either use a immersion blender or stand alone and run till your desired consistency. Use this as a base or add to your base. As far as spices go everyone has their favorite same with the peppers I have had both that have no heat to alot so your the judge on your taste. A sweet bell would go good with them. Start with three or 4 peppers blend taste and go from there the tomatoes will reduce the heat level some so you can add more or stop there. If you roast more than you use chop and mix with some butter and garlic for on some bread

Comment

The Anaheim’s are fairly mild, the jalapeños that got to red are somewhat intense ..... I’m going with 6 of the anaheim’s and 4 of the red jalapeno’s, plus an onion and some garlic. Will roast straight on the coals until I get a char, then do them up with an immersion blender. Once I start building the chili, if that is too mild, I can roast a few more and add them.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF my chili pot is the big enameled Dutch oven from Kirkland. I can do 5-6 lbs of meat and all the associated stuff in it no problem. My wife does an entire pork shoulder for chile verde in it (6-7 lbs of shoulder)

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd toss in between a half dozen and a dozen coarsely chopped roasted peppers. Probably more towards the high side depending on their size. Little flavor bombs.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I have that pot and love it. Made in France too!

Cumin is in a lot of chili powders. Don't forget to adjust for that. I don't use chili powder either but I use poblanos instead of anaheims. I use 4 poblanop and 4 jalapenos and it comes out pretty good.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably will need to up the cumin that I normally put in the chili since I’m not using chili powder. Good point.

If you want the kick, I keep the seeds and the “ thing (white) they come attached. Your count is almost what I had in mind. I was figuring 3 Anaheim’s, so 6 will be fine. 4 of the bad boys is cool. Ahumadora’s habenero, I’d be careful with as he hinted at. I think it will really be cool in your experimentation.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          "Cool"? ;-)

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF , yeah, ya know what I mean, hey,......hey?

So here’s what I did ..... my jalapeños from the backyard are hotter than the ones I buy at the store, so I got rid of the seeds ..... I’m cooking 6 lbs of chuck for the chili, so I kinda doubled up

2 red bell peppers
        8 cloves garlic
        medium yellow onion
        8 Anaheim peppers
        4 green jalapeños
        8 Red jalapeños (they were kinda small, so more like 4 regular ones)
        1 tablespoon olive oil
        1 tablespoon cumin

I roasted the peppers, onion, cloves until they were charred nicely, then skinned, deseeded. PUt everything together and hit with the immersion blender until nicely liquefied. Cooking the chili tomorrow

this purée has a pretty good kick, but once it’s combined with a bottle of wine and a bunch of beef stock, it’s going to be Goldilocks standard, I think

I’ll probably use some paprika to get the nice red chili color

Click image for larger version

Name:	1E7A6C99-6B3F-4249-9C03-94E5662F8061.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	566541
        Click image for larger version  Name:	3E524015-BED7-40E2-9FB8-75F7EA2DF3F8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	566540Click image for larger version  Name:	4804CF37-5221-47B2-AE49-02727263C941.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	566537Click image for larger version  Name:	82C400A8-BAB4-4D59-85F9-72CD29A4372A.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	566538Click image for larger version  Name:	C1BD2CD9-06B7-4EFC-B252-53854B094497.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	566539
        Last edited by ecowper; September 15, 2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We look forward to your result!

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          This thread is mint!
          Look forward to see the result.

I'm late to the party and everyone covered what I was going to say. I don't like using commercial chili powder. I'm making American Chili powder now using 4 or 5 different peppers, and experimenting with ratios. I've roasted them, and have been shifting them in and out of the dehydrator to finish things.

I do love cumin. And I chop up bells and jalapenos, sauté and add them. I've never pureed. My recipe is a lot different than yours. So, send me some?

Paprika is mystifying to me. I've got 3 kinds from Budapest with radically different taste profiles. So, which to use is always complicated with unexpected but not unwelcome results.

Looking forward to your summary!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          The thing about commercial chili powder is how long it has sat in a warehouse somewhere, losing flavor every single day.

I purée’d cause that is what my wife does for the base of her chile verde. I figured I would take the same approach. I will probably add the chili purée in batches until I’m happy with the heat profile.

Will definitely provide a full summary of the cook in the chili sub-forum

Comment

I'm late too, but I have done this myself with dried chilies. Here's what I do.

​4 ancho chilies
          2 pasilla chilies
          2 guajillo chilies
          2-4 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce

Heat the dried chilies on a skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes on each side. Remove from the heat, add to a bowl, and cover with hot water. Soak the chilies for about 30 minutes, until soft. When the chilies are soft cut them in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and veins, and add them to a blender together with the chipotle chiles and a bit of fresh water. Use as much water as needed to make a nice puree. Process in the blender until smooth.

I use cumin and some other spices with this, but no chili powder. Keep in mind that an ancho is just a dried poblano. There are always two names, the fresh name and the dried/smoked name.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Once I’ve used up my peppers from the garden, I’m gonna do this

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper once you have done both I bet it will give you other ideas

toss the onions, tomatoes (of you make your own sauce) garlic and 4 of the Aneheim in the smoker. perl and quarter the onions, quarter the tomatoes, peel and half the garlic, destem and split the peppers. Put the smoke to them heavy like for about 45 minuyes with oak. Dice up 4 of the jalapenos and add raw to the pot when it all comes together. Dice up another couple green jalapenos for garnish and crunch on top. Smoke dehydrate the red jalapenos to make chipote.

Comment

Try a Morita. It's a dried chili. Or chile de arbol. A Morita is a dried chipotle with out the saucy adobe. They are fantastic! And hot!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here