Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried using butternut squash in chili?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried using butternut squash in chili?

I’m about to make the chili recipe I found on the Amazing Ribs site. Instead of carrots, I’m thinking about substituting butternut squash to change the flavor profile a bit. Has anyone tried this?

No, but we had a massive amount of green zucchni one year from a friend and they could be sliced the size of hamburg patties. I grilled them to a nice golden char/ sear on the weber. We bagged them for fridge and freezer to add to different things. I chopped a bunch for chili once. Helped add some thickness without beans. I' not sure how butter nut would work, but I'd give it a go.
    Also, welcome to the pit!

Comment

Could be an interesting experiment. I like the idea of changing up the flavor. When I thought about it, my main concern would be the pieces of squash getting too soft and falling apart. So, I probably would try a bit of a pre-cook of the squash, maybe with onions and other flavors, to sweat some of the moisture out, but still keeping them firm. Then, set aside and add to the chili in a late stage of the cooking, so the flavors mix up, but they don't break down too much.

Just speculating, so take it with a grain of salt! Be curious to see how it comes out.

Comment

You may want to add it the last 30/45 mins. So that it won’t cook up.

Comment

Ay, ay, ay! How "New York City?!"/Moosewood can you get?

Comment

My absolute favorite chili recipe calls for butternut squash. I don't use it because I'm not a squash fan, but it is supposedly an authentic Texas thang. Prolly a regional thang. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...t-chili-350108. I finish mine in Spartacus to add more smokiness.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; April 4, 2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              gcdmd
              Austin, maybe?
              ROFLMAO, Doc!!!!!
              Dang dang glad I wasn't takin a drink, Brother!!!!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Couldn't agree more Mr. Bones, hilarious comment!

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Just dropped my phone.

Not butternut specifically but I do put baking pumpkin in mine. You don’t taste the squash flavor after it’s all done cooking with the spices, but it does add body and depth of flavor 🙂.

Comment

There are a couple questions above about the squash falling apart or needing to be added at the end because of that: it does fall apart and yes that is what you DO want. It disintegrates into the sauce. You gets flavor from it but not "chunks o’ squash ".

Comment

I haven’t done that, but I think it will work. If you decide not to do it, grilled butternut squash is good if you precook it some.

Comment

My Texas heart screams that this (or carrots for that matter) Is blasphemous!😳 But you do you...

Comment

• gcdmd
                    gcdmd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I hear you, brother. If you're a purist, chili should consist of meat, seasonings (including garlic and maybe onions), and liquid; no vegetables (that incudes tomatoes).

• Texas Larry
                    Texas Larry commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I often adulterate mine with tomato and bell pepper to follow the Perdenales River tradition. Maybe thicken with a bit of puréed beans. But I recognize it’s a riff. Folks can make anything and call it chili. It’s a free country🤣.

No, but I have eaten some that my sister made. It was pretty awesome!

Comment

no comment.

Comment

This is my go to chili recipe: https://iwillmakecrafts.wordpress.co...getable-chili/ and you could easily add in some squash in the roasting of the vegetables. You'll see the recipe calls for textured vegetable protein. I, of course, always use 2 lbs of meat. Click image for larger version

Name:	roasted-vegetable-chili.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	826300

Comment

Put it in early...whether on purpose or just not knowing any different...and it will thicken it right up. Perfect...if that’s the plan. ;-)
                        Add it later in the cooking if you want it to resemble squash.
                        Think of it as a "softer" version of a starchy potato, like Idaho & russet...versus a less starchy squash like zucchini.

General rule: winter squash (acorn, butternut, pumpkin) = more starchy. Summer squash (zucchini, crookneck, straightneck) = less starchy.

I’ve also used pumpkin in a black bean soup. Nobody even knows it’s there. It’s simply a starch by the time they get it...but it adds a lot of body.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here