Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili Poll: beans or no beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted no beans but I can't say I've had it that way in years. My wife is a bean fanatic when it comes to chili. She made a crock pot full of it last weekend and I counted 11 cans of beans that she was adding in. Seriously, 11 cans.

I played the "not feeling good" card and snuck in a pb&j sandwich later after she fell asleep.
    ​

Comment

Chili without beans is like lightening without thunder. No beans and your ass just burns, with beans you get to sound off before the burn.

Comment

• BBQ_Steve-O
        BBQ_Steve-O commented
        Editing a comment
        That wouldn't have anything to do with your name, would it?

Beans.

Comment

I'm a little late to the party here... but this is my area of expertise. I've been a chili master much longer than I've been a grill/BBQ novice. I do have several chili cook-off wins to my name. I'm from Texas. Now that my qualifications are out of the way, here are my opinions (ONLY opinions except for two)...

1) In the most strictly technical sense, if there are beans in it, it's not chili. It's meat/bean stew. Which can be delicious. I love good pinto beans, and when I cook them, they are very close in flavor to chili. But I would never put the two of them together. But if I DID... pinto beans would be the only beans I'd use. No kidneys or whites or blacks.
        2) You can have chili beans, but not bean chili.
        3) The first rule for ICS (the official chili cook off governing body in the US) says you may not use beans in your traditional competition chili. They do have a separate category called "homestyle" for those who must use beans. The CASI also has the same rule.
        4) The stuff with cinnamon and allspice in it from Cincinatti isn't legit chili in the technical sense, but it is legit tasty. I prefer Texas style, though.
        5) Mixers and stretchers... rice, macaroni, mac and cheese, spaghetti, cornbread, fritos, nachos, hot dogs, all fine... and delicious. Enjoy how you like. I personally love to make a triple batch of chili and the next day, boil a big batch of spaghetti or linguine and top it with the leftover chili, then shredded cheddar cheese and diced onion.
        6) I don't judge anyone for their preference. Make and eat what you like. But the fact is that authentic chili does not have beans in it. Fortunately for all, you don't have to make "authentic" chili, you can make it however it suits you.

Comment

• Buck Flicks
          Buck Flicks commented
          Editing a comment
          As someone said earlier in the thread... I'll gladly eat a bowl of chili bean stew if you give it to me, but if I'm making it, it won't have beans.

• BBQ_Steve-O
          BBQ_Steve-O commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember back when CASI rules didn't allow ground beef. It had to be diced, chunks, shredded - something other than ground.

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gent's, I Was Of The Opinion If It Didn't Have Rattle Snake Chunks It
          Wasn't "REAL TEXAS CHILE"❓❗️❓ Dan

Well as I'm new here, and my qualifications are: I've never entered any kind of cooking contest in my life! I make a mean chili (if I do say so myself) and I use 3 different kinds of beans in it: Pinto, Dark Red Kidney, and Frioles. As a transplanted Central New Yorker, by way of Western Mass-Floridan, I know not what they do in Texas, but if you are ever in my area, I'll be happy to make my chili for you, beans and all.

Comment

Depends on my mood!

Comment

Hey all y'all - CHILI is a BEAN! You can't make chili without beans!

Huskee, you could have left out the 'hate chili' question and added one for 'Chili without MEAT'. You just have to smoke the vegetarian chili in cast iron.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chili Beans.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	545443
            Last edited by JGo37; August 8, 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep - Chili Beans - they come in a can.

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              Chili beans isn't chili. It's beans cooked in chili spices. Also delicious.

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              My humor is obviously wanting... (the point is, I know Chili Beans aren't 'real' - BUT THEY SHOULD BE!!).

We eat BEANPOT at my house it’s a variation of cowboy beans, a lot more hot sauce.

Comment

• Mudbeaver
              Mudbeaver commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly EdF

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm All In!!!!!

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hat's off, and a 'tip o' the prongs' to Randolph Scott!

I've never had chili without beans. I don't see why you would ever not add them? Maybe if you don't like beans... but I like beans, so...?

Comment

Real chili, aka "Bowl of Red", doesn't have any onions in it, either. It's meat, garlic, peppers, and spices.

I've made it, and it is incredibly good. If you are used to traditional chili, give this a try.

Tolbert's Original Bowl of Red

I've been making chili for over 40 years. I've never entered a cookoff, but I think I have a handle on chili. It pretty much goes one of two ways: simple, or complex. Those are usually the best. Avoid half measures, that leads to "just chili". Which is pretty damn good, frankly. But exceptional chili is either simple, or complex.

In my opinion, of course.
              Last edited by Mosca; August 8, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Why the garlic, peppers, and spices?

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                I have no idea. Frank Tolbert did the research, and that is what the Chili Queens of San Antonio did.

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Mosca, I've Eaten It Before Liked It But Had No Idea How To Make It Now I Can Go To My Evernote File‼️
                I'll Still Have To Source Prime Rattle Snakes‼️ Dan

If my chili is the main entree, I make it with beans. If it is going to be put on or in something, I generally make it without. But I like it either way.... turkey chili on the other hand.... don't get me started!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Loves me some turkey, same, even more, with lovin me some chili!
                Don't have any affinity, whatsoever, fer ground turkey bein subbed fer beef, in any dish, though...gaacckk!!!!!
                YMMV, JMO

Beans in chili = terrorists win

Comment

Sometimes with beans, sometimes without. Sometimes (gasp) with no meat! I must be a terrorist.

Comment

Beas, Beans the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you toot!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The more you toot, the better you feel, so let's have beans for every meal!

Born Texan here, No beans.

Comment

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to The Pit.

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oak Smoke, Welcome To The "PIT CLUB"‼️ OBTW, Apologies
                    Aren't Necessary A Feller Ain't Responsible For Where He Was Born❓
                    Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

• Mudkat
                    Mudkat commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Welcome to the Pit!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here