Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chili Poll: beans or no beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chili Poll: beans or no beans?

I'm just looking for everyone's personal preference. If you were to make a pot or order a bowl, and you have both options- which do you pick?

Beans
    35.40%
    Beans, but I'm picky which beans (explain)
    4.35%
    No beans
    33.54%
    I don't care, I love chili either way
    26.71%
    I don't care, I hate chili either way
    0%

Oh man, you're going to start that argument? How many Texans do we have in the pit?

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thems figntin' words!!!

Here’s the first......NO BEANS - NO GAS !!

Comment

No beans, from Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
        Oh man, you're going to start that argument? How many Texans do we have in the pit?
        Lol, I just want to see collective preferences not start any arguments.

Comment

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          You probably ask Auburn or Bama in Alabama for research purposes too! 😂
          J/K Huskee I just expect some strong opinions.

• perry green
          perry green commented
          Editing a comment
          A quote from an old chili head from Texas I read a looong time ago:: "if you know beans about chili you know chili ain't got no beans". I do like 'em on the side though (frijoles charros)

Personally I love beans in my chili, especially white & black. But I wouldn't refuse beanless, I prefer beanless on my chili dogs!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I mainly love beanless, but will eat with beans gladly, now and then!

I heard that puttin' beans in chili in Texas is a hangin' offence.

Comment

• JonnyB
          JonnyB commented
          Editing a comment
          You can put beans in your chili all you want in Texas....just don't put them in mine.

• Nuke em
          Nuke em commented
          Editing a comment
          Ever hear of tar’ed n feathered? I hear it has ta wear off not warsh off. I wish ya more luck cause ya gonna need it with that can o beans

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Got a few notches on the old pine tree in the back yard... just sayin'.

Wow! To me, beans are beans then come dishes, then comes chili so really my answer sucks... "it depends, what am I going to use it for?" Is there meat or no meat?

But a single answer from me (not beating from Texas) is chili (not chile) is a bowl with beans, cheeese, some chiles and crema. That the minimum. Stuff after that. So yes, beans!!

Comment

I like beans in my chili but it’s a no no with my diet.

Comment

Either way I'm good.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              New York City!!!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Trader

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Ouch!

I really don't make a lot of chilli but the no bean version appeals to me,when I make beans I generally leave meat out(there are a few vegetarians in Seattle, in my own family even)! Oh the horror,the horror...

Comment

Beans every-time - surely that's in its roots as a cheap but filling dish? Any food genealogists?

Comment

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                I voted beans but that is not the "traditional" chili dish according to most accounts. A traditional chili is typically meat and some sort of gravy with no fillers like beans or noodles.

• MeatMonster
                MeatMonster commented
                Editing a comment
                always a school day - will be doing some googling at lunch today to take a closer look. Really great poll.

Want to add some spice to this conversation then bring up pasta, noodles, or spaghetti. Lol

also i still encourage folks to find meatheads article on judging a chili competition on the free AR site.... definitely worth the read.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                ...so your vote is ????

• Nate
                Nate commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman , Well my mother always used spaghetti when I was going up so I guess there is some nestalgia there for me but I actually like an elbow macaroni if I’m going to use a filler.

• DoubleUpOrQuit
                DoubleUpOrQuit commented
                Editing a comment
                My dad always uses elbow macaroni in his chili, and there's never a bean to be seen. For a long time I thought he was nuts, but I've come around. I've decided I just like chili and it really doesn't matter to me.

We always have ours with beans. My preference is for red kidney beans.

Comment

I perfer no beans although my wife makes a mean all bean and rice "chili" in the slow cooker. Although the recipe calls it chile, I call it rice and beans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here