Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Gumbo, The Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oooooh...deliceaux!

Comment

Hi Troutman,

I just joined this forum and found your article via the search box (searched for "gumbo"). This is an amazing article, thanks for posting! Your OP says it's the third of the series. How do I find the others? Did you post the recipe somewhere to accompany all the pictures? Sorry for these basic questions. I'm still learning to navigate around here.

My background: I was raised in the Northeast, far from any Cajun influence. My wife and I went to JazzFest early in our relationship. We not only fell in love with each other, we also fell in love with NOLA. A few years later I did a work assignment in Baton Rouge, back when Mulate's was still open there. It was our standard after-work hangout. I became obsessed with learning how to cook a Mulate's style gumbo with a very dark roux. This isn't an easy proposition for a Yankee who had no idea what a roux was before he looked it up on YouTube. I have a few gumbo recipes and techniques that work well for me & my family now, but I'd love to try yours!

If I'd known that saying, "I want to learn how to cook Cajun and Creole style," is the same thing as saying, "i need to learn French culinary technique," I probably never would have started. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

I joined this forum to figure out how to make and smoke Tasso. Yes, I'm obsessed.

Thanks Troutman!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome!

Well thanks for the compliment Anton32828 that recipe and post was a big hit. Gumbo is not hard to make but it does require that certain elements and steps, particularly the roux, be done properly. Give it a try, you'll be amazed at the results !!

As to your question on the series, it started with one of the "Show Us What You are Cooking" threads that is so popular here. You really just show what you cooked that day or week at home, its not intended to include recipes or a big write up. There is a version of that that comes out quarterly and fills up fast. There is really no way I can remember exactly where I did my first two posts as a result. But to answer your question, the first in a series of South Louisiana stews was Seafood Jambalaya and the next one was Shrimp Etouffee. Neither one had a step-by-step recipe, that's why I did Gumbo outside of that thread. There are; however, tons of recipes on line just Goggle it in. I recommend Paul Prudhomme or Emeril Lagasse recipes.

Welcome to the Pit !!!

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Troutman!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I see you found the other posts, good going !!!!

If you don't mind your roux being a brown sauce, here's a trick I picked up a long time ago. You can avoid lumping and having to be super-careful when adding flour by making it "hygroscopic". You put a bunch of your intended flour on a cookie sheet, and stick it in the oven, probably around 350. After 15 minutes or so mix it up to remove lumps, and repeat the process until no more lumps form. Store the stuff in airtight containers in the fridge. Then use it to make any number of sauces the easy way.

Comment

• Anton32828
        Anton32828 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did this for gumbo season this year. I was skeptical about dry roux at first, but it works great! And it helps cut down the fat content of the final result.

OK.... my mouth is watering! That gumbo looks outstanding!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here