Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe's chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe's chili

I come up with this recipe a few yrs ago. A little different that most. This chili doesn't do well cooked all day because the point of this chili is texture along with great taste.
    I like my veggies cut a bit bigger than most people do. I don't add spegetti like some.
    As I cook it, I taste and every time I think it's missing something, it just needs more chili powder and cumin always.
    I like it hot but not so hot that I can't taste it so you can adjust the Jalapeno's 1 to 5. Two or three is about right.
    Oh and this makes more than a standard Dutch oven. I freeze about 1/2 for later.

JOE'S CHILI

5# ground chuck
    2 large onions
    3 jalapenos, fresh
    1 bunch celery with leaves
    Olive oil
    3 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tbsp parsley
    1/2 cup chili powder to taste, (full bottle).
    3 tbsp ground cumin to taste
    Cayenne pepper optional
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 15oz cans beef stock
    4 15oz cans chili ready tomatoes
    4 15oz cans dark red kidney beans drained
    3 15oz cans tomatoes sauce
    4 cups water +/- I like mine soupy
    Salt to taste. I use none.

Brown the beef in a little oil to help prevent sticking.

Mean while, cut up onions and celery into small chunks not pieces. Texture is everything.

Mince jalapenos. For less heat remove seeds first.

Drain and discard fat and grease.

Add about 1/4 cup oil to meat.

Add cut up onions, jalapenos, celery and garlic. Stir.

Add oregano, parsley, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and pepper. Stir.

Stir this around a little every once in a while until the veggies are softened but not to soft. About 30 minutes. Texture is as important as taste.

Add beef broth, tomatoes, beans, sauce and water. Stir well.

Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Stir often. Watch closely it will burn and stick.

Simmer for about an hour.

Taste and adjust salt, water, cumin and/or chili powder. If it's missing something, it's usually cumin.

Stir and continue to simmer for another hour.

Enjoy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joetee; January 4, 2018, 07:23 AM.

Knee-ice. Love some good tender chuck. I need to smoke the next one for some time like Meathead recommends.

Comment

Looks very good to me.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe

Comment

Great write up!

Comment

Thanks, Joe!
            Looks/sounds good!

Comment

Looks good! I have some frozen leftover brisket just waiting for an opportunity. Might chop it up and substitute for the chuck.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Brisket is great in a bowl of Texas red... No beans please. Those are for hotdog sauce.

Looks fantastic! I'm like you I like large chunks of veggies. I use a good bloody mary mix as a base. Find a bloody mary mix to your liking and substitute it for plain tomato sauce another layer of flavor.

Comment

Reminds me of my dad's chili growing up. We had all kinds of veggies in it, and it was thinner than what I make. Mainly due to cost, poor folks empty the fridge into a pot with meat, chili powder, and cumin to make Stone chili. Good times, looks good!

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                  i know you all have your own recipe, but has anyone tried this one yet?

I also have a great recipe for ham and potato soup if anyone is interested.

Both of these are great winter time dishes that last a few days on these cold nights.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Is this the web site where someone had a throw together recipe for brown soup? If so, can someone remind me of the thread it was on? I tried a Search, but it didn't come up.

BTW, Joe, I didn't mean to imply that your recipe was a throw together. This just seemed like a good thread to bring up the brown soup question. Your chili looks great. The ham and potato soup sounds like a winner, too.

Comment

Originally posted by gcdmd View Post
                        Is this the web site where someone had a throw together recipe for brown soup? If so, can someone remind me of the thread it was on? I tried a Search, but it didn't come up.

BTW, Joe, I didn't mean to imply that your recipe was a throw together. This just seemed like a good thread to bring up the brown soup question. Your chili looks great. The ham and potato soup sounds like a winner, too.
                        No offense. I'm just making conversation. To cold to go out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here