Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef and Bison Bone Broth, yeah baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef and Bison Bone Broth, yeah baby

Almost time to start making more. I make several pots of it over the winter, usually about 30-30# of 75% knuckles, the rest shanks.

Bones are cooked done for a minimum of 3 days but usually more. Most of the broth goes into other soups, much is consumed during the process and some is dehydrated into dry bullion.

Just a couple pics I s of the process. The bones are first roasted until warmed and then coated in tomato pasted and roasted until browned. This helps prevent any bitterness and provide a rich brown color to the broth and the acidity in the tomato helps extract the minerals from the bones. Over the days of simmering I also add a splash of organic apple cider vinegar to help leach the minerals from the bones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2584.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	374612

This is some one of the concentrated and dehydrated broth going into the food processor and then the final bullion. This is unsalted.

Name:	IMG_2582.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	374611

Name:	IMG_2586.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	374613

Some of the the final results of the bone broth. I had an ailing parent out of state. This was my contribution to her and those helping with her recovery, she asked for soups. I also sent in freezer meals. No, that wasn't all just for a few people.

Name:	IMG_2580.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	374609

Name:	IMG_2581.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	374610

I also make bone broth broth from chicken and pork bones and vegetable broth from all my veggie clippings. I waste very little. All fat is skimmed off and rendered for tallow, lard and schmaltz.

That's impressive!

Comment

Not only impressive, but a ton of work.

Comment

• R2rusmc
        R2rusmc commented
        Editing a comment
        Labor of love.

That looks like a factory. Where's the hired help?

Comment

• R2rusmc
        R2rusmc commented
        Editing a comment
        That was a week long cook.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, you're the hired help.

• R2rusmc
        R2rusmc commented
        Editing a comment
        That about sums it up. I'm even lucky enough to have to load it all up and drive it to Pittsburgh for delivery too.

Wow

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here