Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Red chili question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Red chili question

im making some right now. 6 lbs cubed chuck roast, onions, cumin, garlic, salt pepper. I also include half a dozen fresh poblano, same of anaheims and jalapeños.

This time I have some dried nachos which I've reconstituted. Can I use the water in the chili? Is that something people do?

Mosca - are you asking if you can use your normal chili recipe as a nacho topping or are they going to make the chips too soggy?

Comment

Mosca Ya got this one in th' bag!

Water in th' chili should be fine. I always cook mine down (sometimes fer days ;-) from wet t' desired thickness/melding of flavours.
      Simmer slow with th' lid cracked t' mingle.
      Taste when stirrin'. Add more liquid if'n it's gonna take more minglin'.
      This can go on fer a very long time, depending on multiple factors, t' achieve Chili!
      If mealtime approaches (think well ahead!!!) an' it's too wet, lose th' lid.
      Stir frequently t' keep from stickin', of course.
      Scrape th' sides each time ya stir t' git that thickened goodness.
      Yum!!! Enjoy, an' please post pics for us!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; January 22, 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I have never heard of dried nachos.

Comment

• Shane Rakow
          Shane Rakow commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, I have my nachos made, but I'm going to have a heck of a time squishing them all into the dehydrator. Do you add sour cream, and guacamole before, or after you dry them?

Oh hell. Dried ANCHOS.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          You had us wondering for awhile. Thanks for clearing that up. And no I have never used the reconstituted water in my chili. Not to say it wouldn't work.

• Shane Rakow
          Shane Rakow commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaa! I had a good laugh.

Ha, now I understand. I have used the water before. But as with most of my cooking, I use beer. May want to taste it for heat before you use the water, but I have made some great chili with the ancho water myself.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I like beer better in chili than water, too.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca @ lonnie mac @EdF
          I initially use, an' add, along th' way: Beer, Black-Arsed Coffee. No water.
          No worries, if'n ya' already used some water...ya' kin simmer away th' water-taste, if cooked fer awhile!!! ;-)))

• rip1877
          rip1877 commented
          Editing a comment
          I might try a stock to reconstitute it.

This topic reminds me of a story my Dear 'ole Dad used to tell. When he was stationed in San Diego prior to deployment to the Pacific during WWII, he would go to some little restaurant off base for chili. He said that the owner made chili in the same pot every day, and never cleaned out or washed that pot. My Dad said it was the best chili he ever had.
        I think the health regulations may have been a bit more lax back then...

BTW - my Dad made great chili, and I follow his (non)recipe. He never measured anything, but just dumped stuff in until it tasted right.

Comment

If you are asking if you can use the water that you reconstituted the ancho chili with I would say you could but it's better not to. I smoke, dry and reconstitute my own chilis. If you are using it as a paste from a blender you are good. It will be hot. If you are simply reconstituting as an ingredient, it I find it best to use without the water you've reconstituted it with. You can also calm it down if you need to by easily scraping away the seeds once it is soaked. You can always reserve the water and add if you like it's spice and find that you need more moisture. The reconstituted water is a bit bitter. Hope that helps.

Comment

Along with the anchos, I'd recommend smoking the chuck roast before cubing or pulling it. The smoked chuck adds a great flavor to the chili.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here