Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only person who never makes the same chili twice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to use one of two specific formulations, mixing the chilis, but basically the same. Either my dad's competition red chili (Norman's Red Revenge... after some Texans told him he made something tasty but that chili couldn't be green), or Jane Butel's New Mexico style chili. Then, I found this recipe in esquire for baby back rib chili, and I've been making that, modified to be more like Butel's or just straight Butel modified by whim. Then...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kenji Kenji.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	253150

I found his pressure cooker chili con carne, and was done mixing it up. Then I made it again and it didn't work quite right. So, going to refine the Kenji approach for non-PC or improve my PC game, or mix in the baby backs... but, like nearly everything I cook, it's a constant tweaking based on availability, time or whim. That first Kenji version, though... that was the thing.

Comment

• abandonedbrain
      abandonedbrain commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to look that one up; he's awesome!

There was a place in the Italian Market in Philly that had all sorts of interesting meats. Wanted to do "roadkill chili" - snake, bird, alligator, etc. (not actually scavenging on the side of the road ). Mine are always different, but do have beans cuz I ain't Texan . BF and I, debating whose was better, both entered a chili cookoff. He placed higher than I did (his was hotter) but we both lost to the same chick who always wins (she brings about 20 people and tells everyone which one is hers).

Comment

My wife is the chili maker in our house, and she's great at it. To answer your question it's rarely identical each time, it's a toss in this & that occasion, but usually there are some solid bookends that it stays within.

Sometimes she'll add corn (yum!). Potatoes (huh? okay I'll try it. Yum!) Beans, no beans, stewed tomatoes, no stewed tomatoes, leftover brisket, ground beef, etc. As long is it has some kinda meat and plenty of chili powder & cumin I'm good.

Comment

I should be clear, in my constant tinkering, there is never room for beans. Never. No.
        There is rarely tomato. The rib one likes some tomato, but it's also good without. I generally use chuck, and will sometimes add short ribs. Haven't done that since shorties have gotten pricier.

Comment

Well, I went shopping to add a few things as toppings, and I saw ground chorizo in the butcher's cooler... had to try it! I was late getting home for dinner, so I dropped the bags in the kitchen, thinking I'd just grab cold stuff and shove it in the fridge then eat dinner. Call came in (I'm on-call this week as a technician) and I grudgingly had to take it, which then tied me up with a remote support session for about an hour.

I finally ate dinner (shoveled it in), and then went back to my computer to finish up some after-hours remote cleanup work. Then TV happened. Then chatting with my wife happened.

Then she went into the kitchen and finally noticed the five white plastic bags full of food and stuff laying on the floor, and asked if I needed anything put away... and my jaw dropped. "Oh, s---, I thought you saw I was tied up and put those away for me!!!" "No, why would I do that, I wasn't in the kitchen after dinner, the kids did clean-up!"

2# chorizo, into the trashcan. It was more than warm to the touch, I didn't want to risk it.

So tonight's chili gets pulled smoked pork!

Comment

I never use a recipe, always a tad different just to make it challenging. I was raised eating my moms chili, I loved it. She was from Texas and transplanted to the Midwest. She used beans and tomatoes but it was great. However, after being stationed in Texas for a while, I explored my southwest Texas roots and spent some time on weekend passes with my great aunt, who by far was the best cook in our family. Spoke fluent Spanish and cooked Tex mex form taste and memory. She was a treat to be with. Anyway, she introduced me to true Texas chili, just chili peppers and meat. It was amazing. So, to this day I build my chili from whole meats and then use different smoked and dried chiles reconstituted to a paste. I learned about roasted tomatillos from her, and that really adds an authentic pop. I'll often use leftover steak or roasts. I will smoke green bell peppers too but I love roasted poblano , and will also add fire roasted tomatoes now and again. It's just fun making chili by taste and feel, I'll never change that.

Comment

Not since I found Meatheads Ultimate Texas Chili Con Carne. This stuff is amazing. True I do add a few things, but for the most part, this is what I make. Its amazing. I add some chopped brisket and stew meat. And it doesn't have any damn beans!! Great stuff. I highly recommend it. I like to add some Masa to help thicken the chills a bit.

Comment

• abandonedbrain
                abandonedbrain commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmm... beans would thicken things up a bit...

Meatheads adding carrots to one of his chili recipes was a nice touch. Rehydrated chillies vs powder really makes all the difference however else you make it.

Comment

• abandonedbrain
                abandonedbrain commented
                Editing a comment
                I just did that with the chilis for the first time recently... It's a hassle, but I'd have to agree with you.

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
              My chili has three things consistent to it, everything else is variable based on what I have and how it is tasting.

Oh, and no beans. Ever.

Other than that, all's fair in love and war. Carrots, bell peppers, onion, leeks, celery, maybe some lentils or barley? Yup, if it tastes good, why not.
              Wait... you turn your nose up at beans in a chili, but you will put celery, carrots or lentils????

Man, there's some serious logic issues with that process if you ask me! lol I understand a lot of Texans say no beans in chili, and I was born in Texas, but I still love to put some Ranch Style Beans in there. I like the addition of the texture as much as anything. I'm open to carrots, too, and corn. But soon it starts becoming more of a southwestern stew or goulash than a real chili, but it's still ok with me! As long as it tastes good and is pleasing to chow on, I'm down with it!

I also never do the same thing twice. Always experimenting. My spaghetti sauce is the same way, an all-day affair. I just put 2 chuck roasts on the smoker to make chili for tonight's church social, and I'm sold as well, after the last time, no other meat comes close for chili!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not a "Texas chili" thing so much as I just don't like beans in chili. :-)

I never make the same chili twice.

Comment

Yep. Making my chili today in fact. And it's the EXACT same chili I always make! I have perfected a recipe over the years for a competition chili to the way I love it, and dang if I don't make it the exact same way every single time.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nuthin' at all wrong with perfection, brotha!
                  Gotta know, since yer in TX...
                  Beans? Or no?
                  I make it both ways, an' love either... apples n' oranges, way I see it...

• lonnie mac
                  lonnie mac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No beans here brotha! Comp chili not allowed down in these parts. But I do love me some chili con carne at times!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here