Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Blue Ribbon - Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Blue Ribbon - Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili

First Blue Ribbon – Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili

I posted this in general recipes in November. I just noticed that a Soup, Chili, and Stew category was added (thanks Huskee!). Here is a copy of the recipe:

Hi Pit! As I’ve said elsewhere, and without exaggeration, discovering Amazing Ribs, digital thermometers, and an electric pellet grill, has improved my cooking more in the past year than my previous entire life. I just won my first blue ribbon! Granted, it was a small, local chili cook-off, but still! I’ve entered every single year, and never even placed, and then, after finding this site, and combining some ideas of my own… BINGO! Enjoy!

LifebyC’s Pulled Pork Sriracha Chili

5-6 lb pork butt

Meathead’s Memphis Dust (except 1/3 cup fresh Hungarian paprika, not ½ cup – because of all the other heat).

Rinse and then trim most of the fat off the pork butt. Dry completely. Sprinkle with coarse kosher salt. Rest in fridge for 12 hours.

Hit the butt with a light spray of cooking oil. Rub liberally with Meathead’s Memphis Dust (reduced paprika). Rest in fridge another 12 hours.

Another super light dusting of cooking oil spray and Meathead’s Memphis Dust, and on the Rec Tec Mini @ 225 with Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Blend and a ThermoWorks ChefAlarm leave-in digital thermometer.

about 6 hours later the butt stalled @ 162. Time to start the chili:

Chili Fixins (makes 7 quarts when you add the pulled pork)

1 can (16 oz) black beans, low salt, drained
    1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, low salt, drained
    1 can (16 oz) white kidney (cannellini) beans, drained
    1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes, NOT drained
    1 big can (29 oz) tomato sauce
    1/3 cup Sriracha hot sauce
    3 green peppers, seeded and chopped
    2 white onions, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tsps garlic powder
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp sugar
    ½ tsp allspice
    1 small can, or ½ large can of no salt added corn kernels (5-7 oz) drained

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT for the corn in a large (7qt) crock pot on low for 4-6 hours while the pork finishes on the grill.

When the pork butt hits 200-203 (this one took 12 hours total), pull it and put the pulled pork INCLUDING the bone in the crock pot with everything else. Don’t eat too much of the bark while pulling! It’s amazing in the chili!
    I know! Still, don’t do it!

One hour before judging, I removed the pork bone, added the corn kernels, and turned the heat down from “low” to “warm”... wanted to give the corn time to warm up, but not get mushy... wanted a bit of a corn “crunch” and got it.

Some of the folks (everyone voted) garnished with shredded Mexican cheese blend, chopped green onion (I recommend against adding more raw onion, but hey, no rules…) sour cream, even Fritos. But more than half of the folks tasted it first, and proceeded to eat it nekkid. That was (almost) as cool as the blue ribbon.

I think the semi-subtle hot/sweet/smoke of the Sriracha is the perfect heat to add to the pulled pork chili, and the mélange of flavors and textures made lots of smiles, and my first ever cooking blue ribbon.

Thank you Meathead, Amazing Ribs, and The Pit!

Made this recipe Sunday, absolutely love it! Normally I do a meat only no vegetable chili, Sespe Creek style, but wanted something different. Also wanted to do a pork butt, so worked out great. By the way, did the whole pork butt on the Weber Performer with the SnS, real happy with the way it came out. Love this forum.

Comment

Hola Lifeby and Congrats. A lot of competition? Thanks for posting your recipe. I am looking for something else to make as the contest I enter seems to want different chili. I won twice with Texas no bean chili. Then the third year, I got top ratings from all the judges but one who gave me top ratings but a big fat ZERO in some category..for having no beans!

Congrats again!

Scoobs

Comment

Hey thanks for sharing the recipe. I am making this for work tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out the timing of everything. I have to leave my house by 8am but it won't be served until noon. I will be able to plug in the slow cooker at work so that's not a problem and I have left over pulled pork (plus the bone) in the fridge that I'll be using so I don't have to worry about the smoking part of it. When should I start the chili, when should I put the meat in, and what temp should I put it on when I get to work around 9am (high, low, or warm)? Thanks!

Comment

Made this recipe last weekend. I was concerned about 7 quarts being too big a batch.....it was gone in two days! Awesome recipe! Thanks for sharing. Served with some sour cream and shredded Colby Jack cheese...I am in Wisconsin after all - gotta have the cheese!

Comment

Interesting way to utilize a pork butt. I've smoked chuck roast for chili but never pork.

I have used leftover pork butt for cajun breakfast hash though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here