Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soup Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soup Recipes

Its about that time of year for our traditional family "soup off" during Christmas. I won last year by making Chili Verde with smoked pulled pork which turned out awesome. I was wondering if anyone had any other soup recipes which included smoked meat? Thanks in advance!

Last night my wife threw together a veggie beef soup using the rump roast I smoked last Sunday and it turned out great. I don't think there was much of a recipe as she just started tossing frozen veggies, beef broth, rice and the meat into a pot. We were going to have leftovers but the slug of a son ate all of the leftover mashed taters so improvisation took over. Some crusty bread or buns would have been the icing on the cake.

Comment

We have made smoked turkey veggy soup with Thanksgiving leftover smoked turkey... best soup I ever tasted.

Comment

I roast up a few onions along with whatever root veggies I feel like, put them in a pot, add some water and/or stock and whatever seasonings I think work, simmer for an hour, blend everything, and simmer for another hour or so adding more liquid and/or spices as necessary until you get your desired consistency and flavor. I always make a large batch and freeze the extras for fast, delicious and healthy meals.

I add leftover Q meat on a per serving basis, so delicious, some of my favorites:

- Butternut squash
        - Yam or sweet potato
        - Carrot
        (Any blend of the above three, adding ginger, chili powder and a hint of cumin, nutmeg and cinnamon is damn good)

- Leek and Potato
        - Roasted Red Pepper and Potato
        - Any other squash
        - Parsnip
        - Blended cauliflower is a healthy thickening option

I have also been pondering whether or not you can make a nice smoked pork stock with rib bones? Has anyone ever tried this?
        Last edited by bbqoaf; November 18, 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/reci...0&RecipeID=239

This is from The Barefoot Contessa. I make it with chicken from the grill, it gets that nice smokey taste. You can figure out what to do from the ingredient list. Basically, grill/smoke the chicken, saute the vegetables, discard the bones and skin, mix it all together, simmer a while, add a slice of avocado, some sour cream, some cheese, and the tortillas before serving.

4 split (2 whole) chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
          Good olive oil
          Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
          2 cups chopped onions (2 onions)
          1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
          2 cups chopped carrots (4 carrots)
          4 large cloves garlic, chopped
          2½ quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade
          1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes in puree, crushed
          2 to 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
          1 teaspoon ground cumin
          1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
          ¼ to ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
          6 (6-inch) fresh white corn tortillas

Comment

A little different take involving smoked salmon if your interested. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8...nd-potato-soup

Pretty much classic leek & potato soup with smoked salmon added. I'm very much a red meat fool but have lots of salmon to deal with. Tried this approach last night & it was AWESOME!!!

Comment

I love me a Creamy Broccoli and Cheddar with some smoked pulled chicken.

Comment

After hearing several folks discuss using left over smoked brisket & chuckles in their chili, I gave it a try using a chuck I smoked last weekend. I am a convert! Love the stuff, just browned my diced onion in some olive oil and after it was nice and soft, added the pulled pork and the remaining ingredients. YUM!

Comment

Pulled chuckie in chili=food of the gods. I'm with you, Dr ROK !

Kathryn

Comment

• smarkley
                    smarkley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have been wanting to try that fzxdoc

This is a great Brunswick Stew recipe from Sapp Southern Soul BBQ in Saint Simons, GA. Can be used with any combination of leftover meat.

1/2 pound salted butter
                  3 cups (2 large) finely diced sweet onions
                  2 tablespoons minced garlic
                  1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                  1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
                  1 tablespoon salt
                  1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
                  1/2 cup vinegar bbq sauce (recommended: Sapp Southern Soul Barbeque North Carolina)
                  1/2 cup brown sweet bbq sauce (recommended: Sapp Southern Soul Barbeque Georgia)
                  1 pound smoked pulled pork
                  1/2 pound smoked pulled chicken
                  1/2 pound smoked pulled turkey
                  1 pound smoked chopped beef brisket
                  1 ((number 10) can crushed tomatoes
                  1 quart drained yellow corn kernels
                  1 quart drained baby lima beans
                  1 quart or more quality chicken stock or broth

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds amazingly delicious, OneCharmingPig ! I'm going to try it!

I just looked at the comments for the recipe on the Food Network site (recipe taken from the actual restaurant recipe showcased on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives) and may follow them instead. Here are the comments:

Comments:

• This was really good, but I think some of the quantities are not scaled correctly from the restaurant "bulk" recipe. A number 10 can (as I understand it is a huge food service can. Also, a quart of broth and 1/2 lb of butter seemed like way too much. I used 2 28 oz cans of canned tomatoes, 1/2 qt of broth, 1/4 lb butter and it turned out really good.

• This is a great recipe! The best Brunswick Stew I have ever had. Also, I have a great suggestion for an alternative version for quickness and convenience. Cut all ingredient amounts in half and use 1.5 lbs of pork only. Makes a quick and tasty crock pot size portion. I used all the suggested measurements and it was perfectly seasoned as well. I highly recommend this recipe.

I also would add about a pound of redskinned potatoes to the stew.

Kathryn
                    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 19, 2015, 05:43 PM.

• OneCharmingPig
                    OneCharmingPig commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Kathryn,

Good points. I just use 1 normal can of tomatoes but 2 would be fine, and definitely recommend less meat. Potatoes would be great as well. The stock amount I leave the same, but I only use 1 stick of butter (1/4 lb).
                    Last edited by OneCharmingPig; November 20, 2015, 01:13 PM.

I use big chunks of smoked ham in my split pea soup, along with some liquid smoke for good measure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here