Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cincinnati chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cincinnati chili

So in honor of the Bengals making the Super Bowl, I will be making Cincinnati chili for our viewing event.

I found the recipe on the free side, but I am not sure I want to crumble raw ground beef into simmering liquid even if it is most authentic.

Anyone here have experience trying the free side recipe, and/or favorite recipe of their own?

(Also while I think we've also decided what to make in honor of the Rams, curious if folks here have creative ideas..)

St Louis ribs…..

😂

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Have to be Los Angeles ribs.

If you let that chili cook long enough raw meat is not an issue. I’ve made "all day sauce" with meatballs, and I toss raw meatballs in and by dinner time they’re totally cooked. But if any recipe calls for ground beef I like to brown it first - if only for the extra flavors!

For LA I’d go with tacos. You could pick almost anything because LA is such a melting pot, but Southern California has no shortage of taco shops.

Comment

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I do usually use a leaner ground beef, but I’ve never had a problem with too much fat in the sauce.

• das85
      das85 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good point...it's not so much that I'm worried the raw meat truly won't get cooked. It's just hard to get excited about a recipe that describes it as "wormy looking" when you could brown instead..

For LA, thanks I like the taco idea - our current leading candidate is similarly melting pot theme - gochujang marinated pork butt.

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      for the rams? a big fat bowl of nothin!!!! (like I hope their point total is)!

Originally posted by das85 View Post
    I found the recipe on the free side, but I am not sure I want to crumble raw ground beef into simmering liquid even if it is most authentic.
    I have my own recipe, derived from the recipe in one of the Cook's Illustrated books, and I add the raw ground beef to the simmering sauce and it comes out fine. I also make my basic red sauce this same way. The fat adds a lot of flavor to the sauce/chili.

Comment

Ron White has an interesting take on Cincinnati Chili.

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        ...goat and an onion!

I brown the beef first and put it aside. In the same pot I cook down the chili and add the beef back into the soup for the last hour of cooking. Plus points if you use a bit of bacon grease to get things started.

Comment

Sam the Cooking Guy did this version. I have no idea how far from authentic it is.

Comment

I really need to try this. I got addicted to Skyline Chili back in college and the nearest location is a good 45 minutes away.

Comment

How about a rack, leg, or mutton burgers? LA Rams.
            Actually, I hope they both lose.
            Who cares about the game? It is the commercials!

Comment

• das85
              das85 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's what we did the last time Rams were in Super Bowl! Thinking to go a different route this time though.

Ok, since nobody else has said it yet, I'll say it.

That. Is. Not. Chili.

Comment

• Texas Larry
              Texas Larry commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s really a pasta sauce. Never was intended to compete with real chili. Okay for what it is.
              Last edited by Texas Larry; February 3, 2022, 11:41 AM.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Is too, so there.

Great idea. Following this thread. I may have to do the same for the big game.

Comment

We are having Cincinnati Chili for the Bengals and knockoff In-n-Out burgers for the Rams (couldn't think of any other iconic food for LA). Personally I find Cincinnati Chili to be a crime against nature but I guess there are some people out there that like it???

I also put together a list of foods for all the other 30 teams: What to Cook for the Super Bowl 2022 Some cities are super easy but others took a bit more creativity and thought.

Comment

• das85
                das85 commented
                Editing a comment
                Very cool...love the full list.

As a DC native, I would make it a half smoke with chili, rather than a dog...but as a Commanders (!) fan, I also acknowledge this is unlikely to be relevant again in my lifetime.

And for one of the NY teams I would have to do pastrami!

Love the Vegas idea, that is a very nice touch.
                Love the Vegas idea, very nice touch.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here