Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions wanted: thinking of making chili this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't do anything special with spices but I did use a poblano pepper last time. Split, seeds removed. What I did do differently was to make the sauce first, get the flavor profile where I wanted it, puree everything down, then added the meat and beans and simmered it for a while. You might have to make slight adjustments to the spice levels afterwards

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      never brought out the immersion blender for chili prep, will keep that in mind.

If you’ve got 20 minutes to kill…I highly recommend ecowper ‘s post from last year. A little bit helpful, but a lot of comedy.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-in-your-chili

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Carrots, corn, kidney beans …. Duh

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I didn’t bring the other thread back to life (maybe I should), but that some laughing comments and posts! Thanks for the link to it Panhead John

I much prefer venison in my chili with a chub of b’fast sausage. Nothing wrong with beef or plain ground pork, but those flavor/texture profiles is what I like.

Comment

My wife will sometimes add a little cinnamon. Whatever chili powder I use, I typically add extra cumin. I like how one small can of tomato paste affects the texture. We'll typically add a can of chopped chilies if we don't have fresh available.

And, if you want to get crazy, add a little gojuchang, but it will really change the character of the dish.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        cinnamon, chili powder, and dark chocolate go together!

For heaven's sake, start with the Wholly Trinity of Chili, onion, celery, bell peppers. combination of three aromatic ingredients
      Paired with PBR, the wholly trinity of beer. Any questions?
      Last edited by bbqLuv; January 6, 2022, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        The holy trinity to which you're referring is for Cajun/Creole cooking and has nothing to do with chili. The Mexican holy trinity refers (usually) to ancho, pasilla, and mulato peppers.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Hitting the PBR’s a little early today?

I always start with Meathead's Chili Con Carne recipe. Then I grill up pork steaks and a 5 pack of brats. I cut all that up into squares and add it to the chili. I Add the pork bones from the pork steak too. I generally use smoked brisket flat for the base meat, along with some smoked pork belly.

I double this recipe and then always add more cumin. Additionally, I add about 2 tablespoons of chicken stock powder, tablespoon or two of Slap Yo Momma. Then I always add some Carolina reaper dust and then a few cubes of Wagyu or regular beef tallow to the mix.

Then I smoke it on the BGE at 275 with some Oak smoke rolling. This goes for about 4 hours, I always stir the chili about every 1/2 hr. Then I cool the pot and heat it up again the next day, on the stove. I bring it to a boil, stir a few times then chill it. On the third day, it rises again! I heat it up, stir it and then serve it.

I always serve it with Fritos on the bottom, then chili, then cheese and Mexican creama.

Remember.......no self respecting pitmaster puts BEANS in their chili! C'mon people!

She THICC!!!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	60222572435__4FC4D582-D8BF-46D0-A6B2-7173F5C39B02.jpeg Views:	192 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	1155240

Comment

I have not seen it recommend yet so I've seen in some recipes that a square of chocolate deepens the favors of chili. I'm sure those anti-bean guys will love that!

Comment

I grind my own meat, so I use tri-tip and freshly made pork chorizo.

Comment

I believe it was 58limited that posted a recipe that had won Terlingua twice. Ive used it with excellent results several times.

Comment

I made LA Pork Butt ‘s cabbage casserole tonight, and of course something like that begs for cornbread. He recently posted the recipe after a few requests. It’s a mixture of cabbage, hamburger meat, onions and bell peppers. I was a little short on hamburger meat, so I added some rice dressing to it. Yes ma’am, it was good! Mom loved it also and wants me to put it in rotation. Thanks Sunny!

Click image for larger version

Name:	7C80B87D-C331-45CB-860F-97D80B54BDD8.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1155432

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4646C76-29AD-4F6F-8F53-F803D423D950.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1155433

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m such an idiot! I meant to post this at SUWYC 🤷‍♂️🙄

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Reckon ya didn't comment here lookin fer no kinda arguments, did ya, now, John????

Food looks / sounds like solid stuff, Mama Like, 'twas a Good Night, Brother!

A sad discovery was unearthed while digging in the chill-box for chili supplies.

Two dead chorizo sausages were found, having sacrificed themselves at the bottom of the freezer. They weren't wearing proper winter gear; never stood a chance in that environment.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                😢😢 Thoughts and prayers….I’d suggestion a cremation.

Since I know y'all would want an update
              • grilled stew meat at 225 for two hours and smoke tube with Traegar pellets and hickory chip cast iron smoke box.. (its a gasser, so can't use too much smoke due to air flow/leakage)
              • Chopped onion, green and yellow pepper under a dome with smoking gun for 5m
              • Alligator pork sausage links, cut into coins
              • Ground mild Italian sausage
              • Various diced tomato cans
              • 1/2 can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo
              • Immersion blender to puree 1/2 the planned chili base (including the Chipotle peppers... ) added the rest of tomato afterwards to provide texture
              • One can of chili hot beans
              • One small can of corn, cause we like corn in the pot
              • One small can sliced mushrooms, same reason
              • A bit of Tabasco Chipotle
              • Assorted dried spices from cabinet to taste
              Before we go into the next few hours of simmering.... initial taste test suggest ... it'll be yummy.
              Last edited by WillTravelForFood; January 9, 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
                WillTravelForFood commented
                Editing a comment
                Tiny dash of cocoa, tiny dash of 5 spice. More of the Adobe from the Chipotle can.... flavor is nice heat rigjt now.

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                oh, 5 spice is a good idea

These are my two go-to chili recipes. I made the first one at the start of the pandemic and the second is my favorite for when I need to use up everything in the fridge or freezer.

Delicious meaty chili: https://iwillmakecrafts.wordpress.co...s-prize-chili/

Delicious roasted vegetable chili: https://iwillmakecrafts.wordpress.co...getable-chili/

Comment

Here is another chili suggestion. If you have a Trader Joe's by you.......ya gotta get these chips! They are amazing. Basically crack in corn chip form and great on chili! You're Welcome!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.5 KB ID:	1290629

Comment

I made chilli last week, I started with Meatheads recipe, I used moose burger that I smoked then grilled, dried pinto beans, one poblano pepper, coca powder instead of milk chocolate and I added a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce that I mixed up with beef stock in the blender. The chilli had a good depth of flavour and a nice spicy kick to it. My wife said it was too spicy but my neighbour John liked it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here