Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Roux for Gumbo report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkadare
    replied
    Thanks for posting this! I made it tonight and it was excellent. I followed the video except that I browned the chicken first and substituted hot Italian sausages as that's all we have around here. SWMBO and I both loved it. I will be making it again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_152452.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1120757 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_170303.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1120756 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_164831.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1120755

Leave a comment:

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    The ATK video is actually about making chicken and sausage gumbo. At one point they sauté the trinity veggies, which would add fat. They don't sauté the chicken thighs, which would be another opportunity to add flavor.
    Last edited by gcdmd; November 3, 2021, 07:52 PM.

• gcdmd
    replied
    I went back and tried again. I still got sent to the pay wall screen, but by clicking on the "no thanks to free recipes" choice it took me to the page that discusses the dry roux and that links to the video @pkadare referred to above.

Leave a comment:

• pkadare
    commented on 's reply
    Donw - the recipe for the gumbo, at Cook's Kitchen, is behind a paywall, not your link for the dry roux article. Although the recipe is behind a paywall, the video on the ATC site includes all required ingredients and amounts, as well as temps and timings. I'm going to give this a whirl tonight, though with Italian sausage as andouille is not an easy sausage to find up here.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    Favorite scene in the movie.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    We didn’t notice any lack of flavor but that is probably because we brown everything, chicken, sausage, and vegetables before adding them in the pot, along with the scrapings from each pan. And yes, we use bacon grease for all the browning. 😋

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Strange. We don’t have an account and we didn’t hit a paywall either, and we visited the site several times to follow their method for roasting the flour.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by ofelles View Post
    Rather than just mix it up with some broth I have used the browned flour with bacon grease to make the roux. It speeds up the process for a darker roux.
    I like your plan, ofelles , since roux not only provides thickening, it adds flavor from the fat. Using the browned flour and broth in lieu of the flour/fat roux eliminates one source of flavor, IMO.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for this - in my head this seems like the right way - even if its just for a few minutes but feel like you need the fat in gumbo. Will def. give it a shot next time I'm making gumbo

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    My next gumbo I’m gonna do this.

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm, I didn’t have any problem reading it….ATK article. 🧐

• gcdmd
    replied
    The page at ATC has a paywall. However, here's an alternative:

Experience Great Cajun & Creole Food and Recipes with Chef John Folse & Co. (jfolse.com)

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Genius! On accounta if'n it don't have no bacon grease (or at least Lard), why, it jus ain't gonna fly, none, round these here parts...

Not fer even one minute, Nossir!

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    John, you had the question on taste. I just finished packing the equivalent of 7 quarts for freezing and did a side by side taste test of the new batch with a container I defrosted with gumbo made the traditional way. Just as good, maybe just a little bit better. My wife, our traditional roux maker, agreed.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here