Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Roux for Gumbo report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Roux for Gumbo report

We make a large batch of gumbo around this time for winter use, each batch enough for 25 people and then some more for unexpected company.

I stumbled across ATK’s article on using a dry roux for gumbo, first thought it was blasphemy since it did not use any oil, and then decided to risk it on yesterday’s batch. I wanted to report that it does work, lets you easily get the right color, and it was just as good, if not better than if we had stood forever over the pot stirring the roux.

Traditional gumbo recipes call for a roux, which requires constant stirring for an hour or more. But there’s an easier, hands-off option: a dry roux. Here's how to do it.

I’d heard of this before but just kind of brushed it off. I’ve always done the oil and flour routine and thought that was just a bunch of hooey. Wow! I watched the video and I couldn’t tell the difference (visibly) in the final outcome. Since you’ve actually tried it and said it was great, well, I’ve got to try it now. Thanks Don.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 1, 2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. I made gumbo a few weeks ago and thought (once again) I need to try this. Also thought I need to make a huge batch of roux to keep in my freezer to make my life easier next time. This might accomplish both tasks

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      John, you had the question on taste. I just finished packing the equivalent of 7 quarts for freezing and did a side by side taste test of the new batch with a container I defrosted with gumbo made the traditional way. Just as good, maybe just a little bit better. My wife, our traditional roux maker, agreed.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      My next gumbo I’m gonna do this.

Don't you blaspheme in here!

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Favorite scene in the movie.

I have done this also. Works good and you have some for more than one batch of Roux

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you taste any difference in the roux?

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John I like the old fashion way best but that could just be perception. The ease makes up for it especially for a dark Roux. I still make it the old way most of the time. Try it and let us know.
      Last edited by ofelles; November 1, 2021, 10:03 AM.

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      @Panhead John
      See my post #8 below for more info.

Well, I fall into the blasphemy category. I have been just using the Blue Runners cans for a while. I used to add shrimp, imitation crab, and scallops, now I just add sausage and imitation crab. My wife does not eat gumbo, so I take the easy route and it works for me.

Comment

I’ll have to try that out sometime. Avoid the splash burns from the roux. That stuff is like napalm once it starts getting dark enough!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! Almost as fun as gittin LDPE, HDPE, or Styrene 'blurps', when firin up an Injection Mouldin Mochine...

Gonna try this. Some of my Grandmother's recipes call for a roux made of flour and bacon grease, so this probably wouldn't substitute for that, but otherwise, seems convenient, particularly since you can make it ahead.

Comment

Rather than just mix it up with some broth I have used the browned flour with bacon grease to make the roux. It speeds up the process for a darker roux.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Genius! On accounta if'n it don't have no bacon grease (or at least Lard), why, it jus ain't gonna fly, none, round these here parts...

Not fer even one minute, Nossir!

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for this - in my head this seems like the right way - even if its just for a few minutes but feel like you need the fat in gumbo. Will def. give it a shot next time I'm making gumbo

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          We didn’t notice any lack of flavor but that is probably because we brown everything, chicken, sausage, and vegetables before adding them in the pot, along with the scrapings from each pan. And yes, we use bacon grease for all the browning. 😋

The page at ATC has a paywall. However, here's an alternative:

Experience Great Cajun & Creole Food and Recipes with Chef John Folse & Co. (jfolse.com)

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Strange. We don’t have an account and we didn’t hit a paywall either, and we visited the site several times to follow their method for roasting the flour.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Donw - the recipe for the gumbo, at Cook's Kitchen, is behind a paywall, not your link for the dry roux article. Although the recipe is behind a paywall, the video on the ATC site includes all required ingredients and amounts, as well as temps and timings. I'm going to give this a whirl tonight, though with Italian sausage as andouille is not an easy sausage to find up here.

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
        Rather than just mix it up with some broth I have used the browned flour with bacon grease to make the roux. It speeds up the process for a darker roux.
        I like your plan, ofelles , since roux not only provides thickening, it adds flavor from the fat. Using the browned flour and broth in lieu of the flour/fat roux eliminates one source of flavor, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          The ATK video is actually about making chicken and sausage gumbo. At one point they sauté the trinity veggies, which would add fat. They don't sauté the chicken thighs, which would be another opportunity to add flavor.
          Last edited by gcdmd; November 3, 2021, 07:52 PM.

I went back and tried again. I still got sent to the pay wall screen, but by clicking on the "no thanks to free recipes" choice it took me to the page that discusses the dry roux and that links to the video @pkadare referred to above.

Comment

Thanks for posting this! I made it tonight and it was excellent. I followed the video except that I browned the chicken first and substituted hot Italian sausages as that's all we have around here. SWMBO and I both loved it. I will be making it again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_152452.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1120757 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_170303.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1120756 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211105_164831.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1120755

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here