Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Roux for Gumbo report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Yup! Almost as fun as gittin LDPE, HDPE, or Styrene 'blurps', when firin up an Injection Mouldin Mochine...

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    @Panhead John
    See my post #8 below for more info.

• ofelles
    replied
    Rather than just mix it up with some broth I have used the browned flour with bacon grease to make the roux. It speeds up the process for a darker roux.

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    Gonna try this. Some of my Grandmother's recipes call for a roux made of flour and bacon grease, so this probably wouldn't substitute for that, but otherwise, seems convenient, particularly since you can make it ahead.

Leave a comment:

• USMCCrashCrew89
    replied
    I’ll have to try that out sometime. Avoid the splash burns from the roux. That stuff is like napalm once it starts getting dark enough!

Leave a comment:

• saneric38
    replied
    Well, I fall into the blasphemy category. I have been just using the Blue Runners cans for a while. I used to add shrimp, imitation crab, and scallops, now I just add sausage and imitation crab. My wife does not eat gumbo, so I take the easy route and it works for me.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John I like the old fashion way best but that could just be perception. The ease makes up for it especially for a dark Roux. I still make it the old way most of the time. Try it and let us know.
    Last edited by ofelles; November 1, 2021, 10:03 AM.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Could you taste any difference in the roux?

• ofelles
    replied
    I have done this also. Works good and you have some for more than one batch of Roux

Leave a comment:

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    Same. I made gumbo a few weeks ago and thought (once again) I need to try this. Also thought I need to make a huge batch of roux to keep in my freezer to make my life easier next time. This might accomplish both tasks

• Beefchop
    replied
    Don't you blaspheme in here!

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    EZ, Think I may try it also, too.

• Panhead John
    replied
    I’d heard of this before but just kind of brushed it off. I’ve always done the oil and flour routine and thought that was just a bunch of hooey. Wow! I watched the video and I couldn’t tell the difference (visibly) in the final outcome. Since you’ve actually tried it and said it was great, well, I’ve got to try it now. Thanks Don.
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 1, 2021, 07:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    started a topic Dry Roux for Gumbo report

Dry Roux for Gumbo report

We make a large batch of gumbo around this time for winter use, each batch enough for 25 people and then some more for unexpected company.

I stumbled across ATK’s article on using a dry roux for gumbo, first thought it was blasphemy since it did not use any oil, and then decided to risk it on yesterday’s batch. I wanted to report that it does work, lets you easily get the right color, and it was just as good, if not better than if we had stood forever over the pot stirring the roux.

Traditional gumbo recipes call for a roux, which requires constant stirring for an hour or more. But there’s an easier, hands-off option: a dry roux. Here's how to do it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here