Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks Troutman!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Troutman!

My sincere apologies to troymeister and Troutman fer gettin' yur names mixed up. I corrected it in the body, but I don't see how to correct the title...

I made troymeister 's French onion soup today, and my wife said it was the best FOS she ever had.

When I make something I've never made before, or at least not in many years, I look at a bunch of recipes to get an idea of how I want to do it. In this case, after my search, I decided to follow the recipe fairly closely. I did use red, yellow and Vidalia onions hoping for more depth.

The onions before cooking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210825_132201[1].jpg Views:	45 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1083152

The soup done. I forgot to take a photo before putting it in the ramekins.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210825_172302[1].jpg Views:	44 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	1083153

After one bite:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210825_172957[1].jpg Views:	44 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	1083154
    Last edited by RonB; August 26, 2021, 06:44 AM.

RonB Beautimous FOS, Brother!!!! I'd glug down on that fer hours, if not days!!!

Many compliments are due Troutman fer developin, an sharin such a wonder receipt with us all, here!

Jus got home from W-word a while ago, gotta go hit th grocer, here an a bit...

How many ounces of ramekins did ya use???

Bein fresh out, ah'ma havedta grab me some, while I'm there!

Sry, ofelles, I was pitchin at multiple battin macines, got crossed up...

Never meant to call ya no RonB LOL
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 25, 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones - the ramekins are the bowls... I'm thinkin' ya mean the mushrooms and I ran them through the blender for a fine chop. Used a little less than 4 oz because that's what I had, and it seemed to work well. We have had the ramekins for years, but I'm guessin' that Mr Wally would have something that would work - it just needs to be able to take the heat from sittin' under the broiler. And I just added them to the onions shortly before they were done as per the directions.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks RonB
      No, despite (or perhaps) my simple rural upbrangin, I grasp th relatively simple (fer a Hillbilly) concept of mushrooms, quite firmly...we'uns hunted Morels, an Beefsteaks, from time I could walk barefoot outta th door...

Hail!!, later in life (1972) when we'uns moved where they was runnin water all piped right up into th house, indoor toilets, no wood stove This was like landin da *** on Mars, fer me
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 25, 2021, 08:23 PM.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Never knowed anybody, or did any tradin of em, first halfa my lofe, never ever growed am some Ramekins, or even ever heared bout such a thing... mebbe, could right be, they ain't indigenous to these parts, or climate; mebbe they don't prosper well, here...that'd answer a whole lotta questions I gots goin on, now....
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 25, 2021, 08:38 PM.

Looks wonderful!!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - it was.

That looks amazing! Never made it, but now I want to. Not sure what I would serve with it. Just the soup and a loaf of home made bread might make a nice meal.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah FOS, some nice bread and a salad are a meal.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what we did. I toasted some French Bread to put in the soup and had a slice or two with butter also.

That looks great. My youngest is getting close to punching me in a sensitive area due to how long it's been since I've made FOS.

Comment

You did have me scratching my head lol . I was racking my brain trying to remember having cooking French onion soup much less written a recipe. But hey, credit where credit is due, I will be making troymeister 's recipe very soon myself !!!!

Comment

Great recommendation! I can not wait to try this in the fall while grouse hunting up north. This one is going in the file.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here