Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pimiento Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimiento Cheese

I'm posting this here instead of the Cheese section because it is really a dip. See the notes on the recipe.

Spicy Pimiento Cheese
    8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    8 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded (1 cup)
    8 ounces aged Gouda, shredded (1 cup)
    ½ cup mayonnaise (Duke’s for that southern style)
    2 4-oz jars sliced pimientos (drained)
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    Kosher salt and pepper to taste (be careful)

For the pimento cheese: Combine the cream cheese and mayonnaise in a bowl. You could use a stand mixer (the recipe I used called for this but I don’t have one) or just a hand mixer. No need to get too bougie on this. Mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the Cheddar and Gouda and mix to combine on low, about 1 minute. Stir in the pimientos by hand or use the hand mixer again. Taste and season with salt and pepper. (Be light with the salt. The cheese you use will provide plenty of saltiness. Be judicious.) Black pepper is not like jalapenos or any other peppers. It really isn’t a pepper at all. It is a seed. Cream cheese will temper some of the spiciness of the jalapeno. I contemplated using a scotch bonnet but wanted to test this first. I have a couple very good Caribbean hot sauces that can easily take this up a notch.

Once you have your pimiento cheese prepared you have a couple choices. Serve it on crackers or toast points or better yet, make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Taking the sandwich route, it’s up to you whether to "butter" the toasted sides of the bread with mayo or just use a couple rounds of butter in the pan. It’s up to you. Either way. Plop your prepared sandwiches down into the pan. Watch your heat to avoid burning. There is a delicate balance between burning the bread and getting a good melt on the pimiento cheese. Lower temps under cover to melt the cheese and then a higher heat to toast is one suggestion. If you keep the cheese mixture out at room temp it will melt easier.

I contemplated adding a pinch or two of minced scallions but didn’t. That would be a worthy addition if you like. There are plenty of flavors in this recipe.

You could also put some thinly sliced tomatoes into the grilled sandwiches if you like.
    Lots of variations here.

Serve with a homemade tomato soup or with the Costco brand creamy organic tomato/basil soup. Add some tangy coleslaw or a light, mixed green salad on the side.

I don’t know how long the pimiento cheese spread will hold in the refrigerator as it didn’t make it but a few days here. Guessing it will be two weeks or so.

I did add a couple dashes of Matouk’s West Indian Hot sauce. It is one of my favorites.

When I make this again for grilled cheese sammies, I will use less mayonnaise. It was a little sloppy for a tight grilled cheese but didn’t stop us from eating it.

Enjoy.

CosmicMiami Sounds delicious! I actually had pimento Mac and cheese yesterday.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Made this today for The Masters.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          And what did she think of it...

Can’t think of anything more fitting for Masters Sunday 🏌🏻‍♂️

Comment

Try using it for poppers.

Comment

Pimiento cheese is pretty good on a burger also.

Comment

I love pimiento cheese. Try roasting your own red bell peppers or maybe even some green/poblano chiles instead of the jarred.

Comment

I'd ditch the cream cheese and go for a thicker consistency. PC is a spread, not a dip.

Comment

• CosmicMiami
                  CosmicMiami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What would be thicker than cream cheese?

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @CosmicMiami

1. PC doesn't have cream cheese.
                  2. Grated cheddar mixed with some mayo as a binder is plenty thick.

Thanks for the write up. My wife has asked me about making this in the past. I’ll have to give this a try for her.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here