Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nuclear ABTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuclear ABTs

I realized I haven't posted in the pit in a while, but I cook all the time. So, here goes.

ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds) are also known as Jalapeno Poppers and other names. I was watching Ballistic BBQ (on YouTube) and he did them. But I didn't think they were truly nuclear. So I figured I had to up the game a bit

I figured I would do a little testing, so I bought three types of pepper:
    1. Jalapeno
    2. Spanish red pepper
    3. Habanero

I stuffed them with cream cheese and real Italian parmesan (aged 36 months). I then proceeded to wrap them with bacon.

I fired up my offset smoker 'Rude Boy' and smoked them with 100% oak wood for 1 hour at 150° C / 300° F. They turned out real good. But then again I had a great cooker

It was a fun cook, and relatively fast. And it was interesting to compare the difference in heat. All three were tasty. The Spanish red pepper was the mildest, and then came the jalapeno, and hottest was the Habanero. BUT: they were all edible. I suspected the Habanero would make me sweat and feel dizzy, but it was quite pleasant if you know what I mean. I did remove the seeds, but leave the pepper intact (i.e. not cut it in half).

I'm definitely gonna cook more habaneros on the grill like this. The heat (and the dairy product stuffing) softens the blow a bit. All in all a fun cook!!

YouTube video coming soon, need to do some post-editing first.

The lineup

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_0.jpg Views:	47 Size:	279.7 KB ID:	843037

Got the stuffing ready

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_1.jpg Views:	50 Size:	149.6 KB ID:	843035

Here they are, ready for some smoke and heat
    (notice the oak wood split for keeping the thick end up so cheese doesn't leak out)

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_2.jpg Views:	45 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	843036

Let's get that fire started

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_3.jpg Views:	46 Size:	232.1 KB ID:	843039

Rude Boy humming along at 300° F

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_4.jpg Views:	46 Size:	289.5 KB ID:	843038

And here they are, ready to eat

Click image for larger version  Name:	abt_5.jpg Views:	47 Size:	306.0 KB ID:	843040

Have a great weekend, pit masters!

Last edited by Henrik; May 9, 2020, 05:08 AM. Reason: Corrected from Poblano to Jalapeno

Those look wonderful! Love the oak split pillow for those babies.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I thought it was appropriate :-)

Rude Boy has a nice pantena going!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, sure does!

Now THAT’S what I’m talkin’ bout !!!!! WOOOOOHOOOO !!!!!!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right. Real good!

Great looking ABTs but wait....you fired up that massive Rude Boy smoker to cook 6 peppers ???? Tell me you have two briskets and a pork butt in there as well !!!!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I did. Any excuse to fire it up and sit by the firebox is good enough for me :-)

Those poblanos look suspiciously like jalapenos in my neck of the woods.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I def got that wrong. Thanks for correcting me!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to mention that as well Henrik but K beat me to it. No problano amigo!

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Greg at Ballistic BBQ used large size poblanos, which is why I thought he called them "nuclear."🤔He didn’t seem to add a huge amount of heat.

Those look really good Henrik. But I think what you're calling poblanos are actually jalapeños. None the less yum. Try kicking them up another notch. I use either Pepper Jack, Habanero or Ghost pepper cheese for the stuffing. Depends what I can find at the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here