Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrister DEW's Roasted Garlic Hummus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrister DEW's Roasted Garlic Hummus

Ingredients
    1 cup of dried chick peas
    Reserved cooking liquid from the chick peas (aquafaba)
    1 cup toasted sesame seed tahini
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    3 oz lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons or use bottled)
    1/2 - 1 tsp salt to taste
    2 tsps ground cumin
    1 whole bulb roasted garlic - see directions

Directions
    1. Place dried chick peas in a medium pot and cover with about six cups of cold water. Let soak over night at room temperature.

2. Drain and rinse soaked chick peas discarding any discolored ones. Return to the pot and cover with six cups hot water bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer gently for about 2 hours with the pot lid cracked.

3. Drain the peas reserving the cooking liquid. Let peas and liquid cool to room temperature.

4. Take a whole head of garlic, peel off the thin papers from the bulb, leaving the skin on the individual cloves. Snip just the top off of each visible clove to expose a tiny bit of the garlic inside. Drizzle the entire bulb/head with olive oil to coat. Drizzle a bit more over the snipped ends. Wrap the whole thing in foil so that the oil can't drip out. Roast directly on the rack in a 400° oven for 40 minutes. Open the foil and allow to cool until you can handle it easily. Squeeze out all of the roasted garlic cloves into a small bowl out plate and reserve.

5. Combine all ingredients except for reserved chick pea cooking liquid in a food processor and blend. While processor is running, slowly pour reserved liquid, a little at a time until hummus reaches the desired consistency. Chill before serving. Makes about 1 quart or a little more.

NOTES
    1. Can substitute 1 large can or 2 regular size cans of chick peas for the dried, but I like the dried better. If using canned start with step 3. Make sure to save the liquid from the can for thinning the hummus.
    2. Instead of Steps 1 and 2, chickpeas can be cooked, unsoaked, in a pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Place the chickpeas in the pressure cooker and cover with water to a depth of 1 to 2 inches. Pressure cook on high for 55 minutes followed by a full natural release. Continue with step 3.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; April 12, 2020, 09:07 AM.

Chick peas can be fairly high in carbs so for those doing keto or low carbs, cauliflower makes a great substitute.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! I'll pass, thanks.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love cauliflower "mashed potatoes!"

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used to do cauliflower rice when I was eating low carb/keto. I never liked the mashed, though.

Nice recipe, David Dewesq55 . We eat hummus with fresh veggies a lot, but I've never made it with homemade Toasted Sesame Tahini, which could be fun to try. I usually use Joyva brand.

Do you make your own tahini with toasted sesame seeds?

I googled it and came up with this recipe that says be sure to use hulled sesame seeds to make your own toasted sesame tahini. Apparently sesame seeds with hulls can make the tahini bitter.

I'm eager to try making my own toasted sesame tahini and then give your recipe a go. Thank you so much for posting it.

Kathryn

Edited to add: for the fun of it I looked up storebought tahinis and found this comparison:

Looks like Joyva comes in dead last. Good thing I have some Trader Joe's Organic Tahini in my fridge. It's also another reason to try making my own tahini.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 12, 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - I buy Joyva in the orange and white can at my supermarket. You can use the regular untoasted tahini and it won't be bad, I just prefer the richness of the toasted one. As you can see, mine has a lot of tahini in it, but I don't think it's overpowering.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      @fzcdoc - Funny, but I really like Joyva. I have never found any of the negatives they claimed - not salty, not "chunky," not rancid tasting at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Also, I'm not a big fan of Krinos, which they liked. 🤷‍♂️

David

And a couple of questions because autocorrect got the best of your post:

Skip just the top off: snip?

entire building/head: bud instead of building? I'm stumped here.

Maker sure to save the laid from the can for thinking the hummus: Make, lid, thinning?

It was a fun guessing game. Darned autocorrect anyway. I've really made some terrible goofs thanks to autocorrect. Some have been downright embarrassing. Fortunately (or not) the worst one was in a text to my daughter who has yet to let me live it down.

K.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. You are correct sir!

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Know what I hate almost more than autocorrect, Dewesq55? When I take too long to type a comment and don't refresh before posting. 🙄

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's all good, Steve R.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here