Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salsa

Susie Bulloch (Hey Grill, Hey) posted her recipe for Smoked Salsa a couple of days ago and I got inspired. Went to the Durham Farmer’s Market yesterday morning and picked up beef steak tomatoes, a candy red onion, elephant garlic, and a Sarit Gat Pepper instead of a jalapeño. I don’t care for cilantro so I left that out, and am missing the green colors in my salsa. Limes we had already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB7DC168-010D-40E3-8A77-1B4721872BCB.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	725069

Prepped everything.

Name:	A00A4AA1-1EF7-4164-9BF2-235F3DE928C5.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	725074

Got it on my 26” kettle with SNS XL, water trough full, and used my Frog Mats. Dropped in a handful of small hickory chunks.

Name:	CCB07727-3EB9-4BCA-AB68-576FABD9CC2D.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	725071

90 min later at ~235F.

Name:	6D925B09-ED6D-46E1-A47D-00308ECE738F.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	725072

Pulsed in the Cuisinart, added fresh lime juice and used 1.5 tsp of SPOG for the "salt to taste".

Name:	AB1D04C8-04A5-4089-8CD9-EF3584AB09CF.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	725070

These wont last long, it’s delicious.

Name:	3C519706-34C5-4CE3-AE03-1663CB36B407.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	725073

I like mine a little hotter, so as luck would have it... a good friend of mine up in VA grows hot peppers in his backyard and just sent me a couple of packs of powder. He said to be careful as they they contain "White Ghost, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia, Peach Ghost Scorpions, Trinidad Scorpions, Yellow Brains, Primo Yellow, Chocolate Moruga, Golden Cayenne, Chocolate Moruga Scorpions, and Naga Bubblegum 7 Orange." Yup, melt your face off stuff. I’m going to put about 1/16 tsp in one jar - that should ensure I get that one all to myself. 😂 He just bought a WSM, new to smoking, so I’m sending him my old iGrill2 thermometer to help him get things started. Got to use my new Fireboard on this cook, very pumped about it!

I smoked veg we grew last year and made a salsa. It was AWESOME. Sounds like yours turned out even better. Great work!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
      FishTalesNC commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect fresh veggies, especially home grown, are the key to a killer salsa. Bet yours was top shelf stuff snowswamp !

Sounds tasty.

Comment

Ive been smoking my salsa ingredients for a couple of years as well. I usually use Cherry smoke for the vegetables. If you have some around, give it a try. Nothing is better than fresh salsa! Great cook!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
        FishTalesNC commented
        Editing a comment
        I definitely will, thanks. This was my first time doing this, but I am a big fan of cherry smoke and will use that next time! It’s so good I really can’t believe I haven’t done it before... and I love the fact I can make some for my vegetarian sister and nieces too.

I do the same thing, even smoke the limes that I juice and zest along with the cilantro. Wondering inf a POST BLEND smoke works just as well.

Comment

I love a good seared veggie salsa...well done !!!

Comment

I was going to make a salsa for my Picaha yesterday but didn't get there. Know I know why I was meant to make one like this.
          Thanks for sharing.
          Go easy with that powder. Does sound like quite a concoction.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

My sister-in-law scorches the peppers before we make salsa.

I will have to try to smoke some and then add it to the salsa. Especially since my Scorpion, Naga Viper and Ghost Peppers are coming in. Naga Vipers are probably my favorite peppers for salsa. I also love me some Serrano peppers.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Geeze I use mesquite. Would that blow you out of the water ???

• FishTalesNC
              FishTalesNC commented
              Editing a comment
              Not at all Troutman, it was my first thought til I backed off to hickory! I clearly need to make several more batches and see what I like.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Experimentation....I like it !!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here