Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Twinkies Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Twinkies Recipe?

Read about this a few weeks ago and wanted to know if anyone had a recipe they use to make something similar (seems pretty simple but if someone had a technique/details easier than reinventing the wheel).

Link to article: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/smo...chins-bbq/amp/

Thanks for thoughts/ideas!
    Last edited by Cschweitzer; June 18, 2019, 05:45 AM.

Wow I might have to try that with some left over brisket in the fridge.

Comment

Man, those look yummy, so another place to find when I'm in Dallas in Sept.

Comment

Comment

Works well with pulled pork too. Heck I've stuffed and grilled a jalapeno (and other peppers) with just about everything. Peanut butter is another favorite of mine. Spicy sausage is always good. The meat stuffed bacon wrapped ones also fry up well.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I vote that you change your name to texastwinkie....just sayin'

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol

Cschweitzer I showed my brother-in-law these and we did these a week ago. Take your popper filling and add the meat is what we did. We also did a poblano pepper the same way as the jalapenos as a way to use it up. Wrapped them in the bacon and threw them on my kamado while I had a chicken going in the PBC. Our filling was cream and cheddar cheeses, with a little bit of one of the rubs that I have in my stockpile, and some leftover brisket from the cook before. Took the stem side off and cored the peppers. Wrapped them in bacon, and made an attempt to use my BGE popper holder and ended up using a bit of butchers twin to hold them all together and upright. Cooked till the bacon was crispy.
          Last edited by AverageJoe; June 18, 2019, 07:24 AM. Reason: cant forget the meat of course

Comment

• Cschweitzer
            Cschweitzer commented
            Editing a comment
            Great thoughts, thanks for the response!

Ya might could force me to try one.

Comment

Yea those look pretty killer, had variants like texastweeter talks about. Pulled pork, chicken, shrimp, brisket, bacon (inside and out), etc. Binder can be cream cheese, colby jack, cheddar, peanut butter, etc. The combos are about endless if you use a little imagination.

I've always found if you pre-cook your bacon to still pliable before wrapping, you get that killer crispy bacon finish without decimating the pepper and its contents. I hate biting into one with chewing bacon, horrible.

Comment

• Cschweitzer
              Cschweitzer commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree on the bacon...we make the bacon wrapped shrimp recipe pretty often and nothing worse than having chewy bacon. Thanks for the response!

I've never seen jalapenos as big as described in the article but I bet they would taste very good made with a poblano with some chopped up Serrano in the stuffing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here