Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pit a poblano?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to pit a poblano?

I'm a big fan of Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs), or jalapeno poppers. But sometimes I skip it because I find it too tedious to pit them. Do any of you have any ideas of how to best pit them, without cutting them in half lengthwise first? I would like to just cut the top off, then pull out the innards, and then stuff it with cheese and so on.

Is there a poblano de-pitter at Amazon or something? How do you guys do it?

A CHEEP small knife from All a Dollar. I think they are 2 or 3 to the package and they have a small blade good for coring after the stem end is cut off.

Comment

We have a couple of these . . . work good.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. This is what I have and use. It works pretty well. Not perfect but pretty good.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea I have one of those too. It came with a stand so you cook the poppers vertically. Problem I encountered was the bottom of the pepper kept scorceing and emptying its cheese content. I piece of foil stopped that but it was more work then worth so I went back to cutting in half.

I just searched Amazon for "pepper seeder". The result (including the one johnec00 mentioned) was a whole bunch of funny looking tools ... one or more of which might work for poblanos.

Comment

I just knew the PMC would come to the rescue! I've used a small knife before, but I guess I don't have the hang of it yet. I'm gonna order the jalapeno corer from Amazon and give it a try. Thanks!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
          Hulagn1971 commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know how it works. I was going to buy one a while back too.

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one as well, it works like a charm!

A couple of pics of mine. Click image for larger version

Name:	6E63A565-BDCF-4A80-8555-7877B311FBC3.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	653466Click image for larger version

Name:	9E69113B-A491-439E-A687-1C09DC3F3B1F.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	653467Click image for larger version

Name:	5501A393-6D55-44BF-BBF7-74C94B0B4DC5.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	653468

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Steve!

• Timbo54
          Timbo54 commented
          Editing a comment
          That thing looks dangerous.

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll bet that thing would core an apple too.

Do you get free shipping in Sweden? I assume Amazon has warehouses all over the world.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish! That’s never happening. Half the time I have to order to my virtual US address and then pay shipping again to get it here.

• Randy-Phx
          Randy-Phx commented
          Editing a comment
          So, how much does it cost you to buy the $5.40 US kitchen gadget when it gets to your residence?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          This one? I think an honest guess would be 30 bucks. I forgot about the toll fees.

Just to be a picky nit-picker (redundant--I know), jalapenos and poblanos are two completely different peppers. Poblanos are large--on the order of a bell pepper, but more tapered in shape. When dried, poblanos are called anchos, as opposed to dried (and smoked) jalapenos which are called chipotles.

Comment

Ditto on what Willy said about different. When I do anything with a Poblano I always roast to peel the skin off, which then makes the de-seeding easy, cuz it’s so supple to handle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here