Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cheese

i smoked some cheese the other day, I know it needs to rest for sometime but I am reading a range of times from 2 weeks to as long as 2 months before you try it. Has anyone here smoked cheese and how long did you let it sit before eating it?
    Attached Files

I Vacuum Seal it after smoking and then leave it at least 2 weeks. However I've left it sealed and refrigerated for 6-7 months too. Smoked cheese is great!

Comment

Depends on the cheese and your palate honestly. For me swiss needs 3-4 weeks as do sharp cheddars, normal cheddar I've dug into as soon as 5 days and it's great. Even if it's a little bitter because it's too soon... you can make a grilled cheese with it and it mellows out so I would guess anything that would melt it and mix up the smoke profile would work early too.

Comment

When smoking cheese, do you guys buy any special kind of cheese?

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, very special cheese. The cheesey kind. 🕶

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys! Just curious. I might have to give this a try. @ItsAllGoneTheDogs Skip Sam6687

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          We like cheddar's, mozzarella, Swiss, provolone, guda, and Edam smoked. We do not like Colby Jack smoked.

I've used Malcom Reeds technique worked for me.

Comment

Sam6687 I am lovin this post, hopin many others chime in with additional tips, tricks, techniques, etc., usw.

Whatcha got smokin, there, up under yer cheese?

First ever PBC cheese smoke I ever seen, so kudos!

(Reckon I jus gotta ask; How come ya didn't hook em an hang em? )

Comment

• Sam6687
            Sam6687 commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought an amazen smoke tube filled it with apple wood pellets and put it at the bottom of the PBC. It worked great. At the very end temp started to get a little high as soon as the ambient temp warmed up

Chef Tom at "All Things BBQ - The Sauce" says vacuum seal for at least a week. I think 2 is pretty solid and then enjoy as you will. If you try and think it needs to mellow more reseal and wait a bit longer.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Chef Tom uses a TON of YS640s in his videos. There is always like ten of them rolling in the background, I love it!

• Sweaty Paul
            Sweaty Paul commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker if you’re ever in Wichita it’s worth stopping by their store. They have Yoders for days.

When I smoked the cheese I did it just like his video. Turned Yoder fans on and lit an Amazin’ Smoke Tube for an hour and a half to two hours.

I let it rest for a week in the fridge, sometimes a little longer, to let the smoke flavor ('bitterness') mellow. Except for that, it is AWESOME! If you haven't tried it, get to it! You're gonna love it Spinaker. And it's easy.

Comment

I wasn't too thrilled with smoked 4-year sharp cheddar. I enjoy the milder cheeses best when smoked -- string cheese, cheese curds, colby, farmer cheese, queso fresco, monterey jack, etc. I let the cheese mellow for 2 weeks minimum, but it seems like the flavor gets better if I age it longer. String cheese at 4 weeks is really tasty.

I've used my Amazen smoker and "pitmaster's choice" pellets for 2-3 hr. I've also smoked with hay for 20-30 min. Either way gives similar results in the end. I don't think you have to use fruit wood smoke to get good results. The smoke odor on the cheese might smell different at first depending on what you used to make the smoke, but after the cheese is aged after smoking, the flavor profile mellows out regardless of you used to make the smoke.

Comment

Bought a smoke adapter for my Bradley some years ago. Use any hardwood pucks for two hours and vacuum seal for at least a week. Excellent on most any cheese and so easy!

Comment

2 weeks minimum, but the flavor really seems to be best after a couple of months in the vac bags. I always use fruit wood or a mixture of fruit wood and maple. 2 hours for 1lb blocks, 6 for 4lb blocks. smoked at under 55°.

Comment

texastweeter thanks. i used apple wood this time. Im going to leave it for 2 weeks, try it and probably vac it back up and let it go for a another couple weeks.

Comment

A friend of mine just smoked some cheese. Then I watched the Malcom Reeds Youtube video (and then some others). I have to try this on my Weber Kettle grill. My friend suggested wood chips and some newspaper (to get it started) wrapped in aluminum foil with a couple of slits.

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Comment

I just wait 2 weeks.

Comment

I'd like to try this but don't have a vac sealer. Is that really needed or is there an alternative way of aging? Also gonna try making my own cheese this fall.

Comment

• holehogg
                          holehogg commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've covered with cling wrap and have read here zip lock bsgs wotk just ad well

• IowaGirl
                          IowaGirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Vac sealing is a way to store food, but it's not strictly necessary. I use a vac sealer a lot, but not for cheese. Basically store smoked cheese exactly like you would store any other cheese. I wrap each portions of cheese in several sheets of deli waxed paper. These packets go into a zip plastic bag for storage and to mellow.
                          Last edited by IowaGirl; September 9, 2019, 04:02 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here